[SOLVED] Do I NEED to upgrade my PSU NOW?

Jeff21

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
So I built a system with a Corsair VS650 around easter 2018, it now boasts an i7-7700K (MSI B250M), RTX 2080 8GB (with a decent, stable overclock), 32GB RAM, Corsair H100X (if that matters) and way too many drives 4+1 Corsair force 510. I've never really trusted that PSU entirely but it's held strong with no problems (I think). I plan on building a new system in January 2022, i'd like to transplant the video card into said systems until newer GPU prices come back to reality (and stock), but I'm worried about losing it if this POS PSU goes to Sparky the Zap-Lord before then. Do you think it'll hold out until then or is an emergency upgrade needed? If it were to whoosh, what would it take out, does my video card have any extra electrical condoms on board? My workload is acceptability intensive, I used to do content production work on it occasionally but I'm now using a dedicated system; mostly games these days, A LOT of flight simulation (X-Plane, P3DV5 and MSFS) for up to 14 hours at a time, the rest is fair and broad, take Far Cry 5 as an example of intensity. CPU GPU usage is balanced, avg 48% CPU 61% GPU (X-Plane 11.51 Vulkan session).

Thanks in advance.

Solution
It's not an REPLACE THIS MINUTE emergency since it's a middling entry-level PSU, but it's definitely not a good match with the quality of the rest of your parts. The protections for the GPU are the PSU. I'd replace it with something better when you get a chance and then bring it to your next PC.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's not an REPLACE THIS MINUTE emergency since it's a middling entry-level PSU, but it's definitely not a good match with the quality of the rest of your parts. The protections for the GPU are the PSU. I'd replace it with something better when you get a chance and then bring it to your next PC.

Solution