[SOLVED] Do I need to upgrade my PSU?

Biggy Cent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
I’m updating my rig (my first i5 3570k build) that I built back in 2013 is getting very outdated (even though it still runs some programs and games fine). But my question is, along with the cpu mobo and new ram sticks I’m buying, should I replace my PSU since it’s roughly 4-5 years old? Its a 1000 watt gold rated Corsair. I just bought a 3600x cpu and plan on running an RTX 2070 super.

I guess I wasn’t sure on the life span of power supply’s so that’s why I’ve asked.

Thank you.

Solution
I would say 1-3 years id have to look at the model # when I get home.
As long as it’s still in warranty I’d say it’s ok. I believe Corsair only have good quality 1000w gold psu’s, if it had been a low quality psu then I’d say change it. A PSU warranty should cover damage caused to your system if the psu fails, once out of warranty you take on the risk and I’d say that’s time to upgrade.
I would say 1-3 years id have to look at the model # when I get home.
As long as it’s still in warranty I’d say it’s ok. I believe Corsair only have good quality 1000w gold psu’s, if it had been a low quality psu then I’d say change it. A PSU warranty should cover damage caused to your system if the psu fails, once out of warranty you take on the risk and I’d say that’s time to upgrade.

Reactions: Biggy Cent
Solution

Biggy Cent

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014

alright thanks I’ll double check!