[SOLVED] Do I need to upgrade socket?

dave.brunskill23

Commendable
Jan 2, 2018
Looking to spend some money in my system to future proof, not sure where to spend my money for best performance gains or if to start towards a new build.

I’m specifically interested in gaining as much competitive edge for my money as possible, not fancy textures etc, most advice I read are tailored to high graphics, what I want to optimise money spent towards high FPS and low component latency per £. Not sure if I need to focus on getting off ddr3 as I’d like to future proof but cant afford to buy whole system right now so thinking cpu ram and motherboard might be best to allow me to upgrade gpu and monitor later? What would others do keeping in mind I’m after FPS/Low latency not high textures (maybe considering 1440p in future though).

currently:

i7 4790k + H100i
16Gb vengeance 1900mhz ram
hero vii mb
980ti G1
850w gold psu
144hz 1080p BenQ xl2720z

thanks for any advice!

Solution
to be honest, theres really no upgrade path for that computer. its the best that it could get without changing major stuff.

if youre looking for more fps, lower the quality of the game...

getting a new cpu and mobo wont improve your fps by a lot, or at all in some games.

a new gpu is your best bet for more fps, but anything worth upgrade to (2070 super or up) would be overkill for a 1080p 144hz monitor and 4th gen i7.

do you not get 144hz in your games? if you do, dont upgrade, as you wont notice a difference.
to be honest, theres really no upgrade path for that computer. its the best that it could get without changing major stuff.

getting a new cpu and mobo wont improve your fps by a lot, or at all in some games.

a new gpu is your best bet for more fps, but anything worth upgrade to (2070 super or up) would be overkill for a 1080p 144hz monitor and 4th gen i7.

do you not get 144hz in your games? if you do, dont upgrade, as you wont notice a difference.

Solution

dave.brunskill23

Commendable
Jan 2, 2018

Fortnite I was getting 200+ no issue, C.O.D. warzone is 80-100 with micro stutters.. just want the game to run smooth, I feel like I should be able to get 144 on low so thinking issue could be cpu/ram as GPU isn’t getting hot but not sure how to tell?
if I upgrade mb/Cpu/ram to a ddr4 and take the GPU, psu, case, ssd/hdd, water cooler am I likely to see much improvement?

Fortnite I was getting 200+ no issue, C.O.D. warzone is 80-100 with micro stutters.. just want the game to run smooth, I feel like I should be able to get 144 on low so thinking issue could be cpu/ram as GPU isn’t getting hot but not sure how to tell?
if I upgrade mb/Cpu/ram to a ddr4 and take the GPU, psu, case, ssd/hdd, water cooler am I likely to see much improvement?
like is said, no.

but, that is only a 4 core cpu. so if you have, chrome tabs or.. discord or stuff like that in the background, it will impeed performance in some games. so if you like to multitask, maybe it will actually be worth it.
but, no.

although it might fix the micro stutters.