Do I need to upgrade the cooling for this system?

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I have been reading everything I can find on overclocking, and have here my first attempt. So far it has gone pretty good, but I seem to be running a bit hot.

Here are a few questions that maybe someone can answer:
- Should there be a funny smell when I overclock?
- The constant beeping noise is obnoxious – how do I shut it off?
- What about the smoke – how much is acceptable?
- Could I try mixing patchouli to mask the odor? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patchouli

Here are my statistics:
smoke.png

I am sincerely looking forward to selecting the best answer in the next 24 hours.

Solution
you need to use something mainly constituted of metal, so perhaps get a hold of a litre of mercury.

make sure to close your windows before applying it to the system though. you dont want it all escaping out the window.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Exactly how how is your max temp over 400°C, a load of over 200%, a overclock of almost 5 ghz, and a core voltage of of 120v. :heink:

I'll humor you with an answer

1. There should not be a funny smell and it means something is burning.
2. I assume the beeping noise is the smoke alarm.
3.None and its the source of your smell
4. No

Honestly if this is an Aprils Fool joke its a bad one.

Giles Murray

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Hmmm I recall one time I had actual smoke coming from my machine as well. But that was a shorting out power connector... :eek:

You gave me one idea though.. If you modded up a "hippy" themed machine you could possibly put incense resin in the fins of the CPU heat sink.. for that "Far eastern aroma"

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Now that's the kind of answer I'm looking for! Yeah, the case on this machine is such a boring black. Maybe some day glo paint would liven it up as well. With the proper rigging, I could have a Thermalright 120 ultra extreme incense burner :pt1cable:

Here's a pic to get your creative juices flowing!

332.jpg

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I am attempting to cool with water, and it makes a nice pattern when I spray it on the fan. Why does it just turn to steam when it hits the cooler? Should it all boil away, or do I need to use more?

G

I think I've got it... you used some cheap off brand thermal paste, didn't you? :non:

Personally I swear by Alaskan Gold. I'll bet it could shave at least 100 degrees off your max temp. :sol:

welshmousepk

Distinguished
you need to use something mainly constituted of metal, so perhaps get a hold of a litre of mercury.

make sure to close your windows before applying it to the system though. you dont want it all escaping out the window.

Solution

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
We have a winner!!!!!

Thank you for playing, welshmousepl.

Unfortunately, the Fire Marshall told me I have to shut the computer down now. Geez, it was only the curtains that really got burnt. Momma is not pleased, since she had to put her house coat on when the firemen came.

Thank you all who contributed. I will be sure to tell all my friends about this site so they can ask their questions too. Of, course, they aren’t as sophisticated as me, so you be patient with them, OK?