[SOLVED] Do I need to use 4 pin with 8 pin motherboard power connector?

Oct 25, 2022
Hello guys! Noob here with noob qestion ;-)

I want to connect my motherboard (Asus ROG STRIX B660-G GAMING WIFI) to fully modular Seasonic GX-750. On motherboard there is in top left one ATX_12V_2 four pin power connector, next to it there is another eight pin ATX_12V_1 power connector. I have connected RE25 8 pin to CPU/PCI-E and to that 8 pin ATX_12V_1. Please tell me do I need to use also that 4 pin ATX_12V_2 ? I use i5-13600KF with RTX 3080Ti OC from Zotac.

Please help me :beercheers:

Solution
the motherboard has an 8-pin and 4-pin cpu power connection.

your psu only has an 8-pin cpu connection. so plug in the 8-pin and that's all you can do. pcie connections are not for that and can not be used so don't try. :)

the labels on the psu are only telling you that you can plug the 8-pin cpu connection into any of those 4 slots, not that you have multiple cpu connectors.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the motherboard has an 8-pin and 4-pin cpu power connection.

your psu only has an 8-pin cpu connection. so plug in the 8-pin and that's all you can do. pcie connections are not for that and can not be used so don't try. :)

the labels on the psu are only telling you that you can plug the 8-pin cpu connection into any of those 4 slots, not that you have multiple cpu connectors.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan
Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah they are for extra cpu power, not just for overclocking but for the more power hungry higher end cpu's.

from what i have seen the 13600 is not as bad and should be ok with the single connection.

however, i would pay attention to the system first week or so and be sure it is not being power starved. it might be that the 4 pin is needed, but i am not sure since without digging further. but i doubt it for that cpu.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan