[SOLVED] Do I need to worry about updating my BIOS if I am upgrading my motherboard and cpu at the same time?

Apr 9, 2020
I currently have an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard with an AMD fx 8320 processor. I plan on keeping my gtx 1070 graphics card. I plan on upgrading to an "MSI - MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard" and an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU as well as getting new ddr4 16gb ram to fit the new board. I've been seeing a lot of things about updating the bios before upgrading a CPU but I cannot find anything specifically referring to upgrading both the CPU and motherboard at the same time. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the software compatibility side of things so any help would be greatly appreciated! (Also if anything seems off about the compatibility of the parts I plan to get, please let me know!:))

Solution
I don't think you should need to update the BIOS.
If you look here....
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI#support-cpu
It list all the CPUs with corresponding BIOS versions for that MB.
All of the CPUs except two take the same BIOS.
And all the ones that take the same BIOS take the earliest version of the BIOS...including the Ryzen 7 3700X....so I'm thinking the motherboard should come with the proper BIOS already installed.
If you look here....
And all the ones that take the same BIOS take the earliest version of the BIOS...including the Ryzen 7 3700X....so I'm thinking the motherboard should come with the proper BIOS already installed.

Reactions: eeto.Jason
Solution
Apr 9, 2020
If you look here....
Thanks for responding so fast! This makes me a lot less nervous about the upgrade!

All motherboards will include the latest bios available at the time of manufacture.
You should not need to touch the bios.

If you were buying an older motherboard that was originally launched to support an earlier gen of processor, then you would need to update the bios to support a current gen processor. That is a problem since you need to install an older processor to do the update.
Not to worry, X570 is latest gen so the compatibility issue is irrelevant.

I might add also that unless you have a problem that is impacting you, do not update a bios on speculation. Bios updates are usually for minor issues that will not impact you.
A failed bios flash can be nasty to recover from.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
All motherboards will include the latest bios available at the time of manufacture.
You should not need to touch the bios.

If you were buying an older motherboard that was originally launched to support an earlier gen of processor, then you would need to update the bios to support a current gen processor. That is a problem since you need to install an older processor to do the update.
Not to worry, X570 is latest gen so the compatibility issue is irrelevant.

I might add also that unless you have a problem that is impacting you, do not update a bios on speculation. Bios updates are usually for minor issues that will not impact you.
A failed bios flash can be nasty to recover from.
Thanks! Putting the pieces of my limited youtube research together I kinda assumed this was how it worked but its nice to have clear confirmation.(y)

I currently have an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard with an AMD fx 8320 processor. I plan on keeping my gtx 1070 graphics card. I plan on upgrading to an "MSI - MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard" and an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU as well as getting new ddr4 16gb ram to fit the new board. I've been seeing a lot of things about updating the bios before upgrading a CPU but I cannot find anything specifically referring to upgrading both the CPU and motherboard at the same time. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the software compatibility side of things so any help would be greatly appreciated! (Also if anything seems off about the compatibility of the parts I plan to get, please let me know!:))

If you mean to update the BIOS on your existing motherboard then replacing it, then no not at all. You are removing it from the system, updating the BIOS on it first is about as useless as washing the floors and windows in a house that is going to get demolished.