[SOLVED] Do I Need To Worry?

AimanS

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016
So I just got my Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 Black and my Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut today. I replaced it after using my AMD Stock Cooler for the Ryzen 5 2600 for 2 years now. I put everything accordingly then I had to pull the cooler back when it was literally sticked to the CPU then my dumbass pulled the CPU out of the socket. Luckily, no pins was pulled out, everything was fine visually. I had to pull the CPU from the cooler to readjust and some thermal paste was pushed to the side and hit the side of the CPU. cleaned it, but I reused my thermal paste on the cpu cover, it had a hair on it from nowhere, i removed the hair and reused it. It was not booting up at first, it was in a reboot loop, reseated the RAM, it was booted just fine then did Heaven benchmarking. DX11 1080p Ultra, others are turned off. Temps was fine, GPU was doing high 60s Celsius but the CPU was never surpassing the mid 40s, maxed temps for the CPU was 44 Celsius. Should I buy another thermal paste to reapply or leave it?

Solution
Your problem when removing the cooler is very common with AMD (this does not happen with Intel that holds the CPU stronger), because the grip on the socket is imperfect. In the future when you need to replace the cooler of an AMD, before pulling it, you should perform a slight twisting movement to detach the CPU from the cooler without leaving the socket.

In general, it is NEVER recommended to reuse thermal paste because when it dries it has lost its elasticity. However if the temperatures are correct, do not touch anything.

Regards.
Your problem when removing the cooler is very common with AMD (this does not happen with Intel that holds the CPU stronger), because the grip on the socket is imperfect. In the future when you need to replace the cooler of an AMD, before pulling it, you should perform a slight twisting movement to detach the CPU from the cooler without leaving the socket.

In general, it is NEVER recommended to reuse thermal paste because when it dries it has lost its elasticity. However if the temperatures are correct, do not touch anything.

Regards.

Solution

AimanS

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016

Regards.
Wouldn't that make the thermal paste get everywhere on the mobo? I only removed it to re-adjust so it's fine right? The thermal paste's age wasn't even 1 minute before I re-adjust it.