[SOLVED] Do I need USB 3.0 or 2.0 Hub?

thesinghman

Prominent
Dec 28, 2018
The title pretty much sums up my question. I am currently looking at two USB hubs, 2.0 and 3.0. the 3.0 is more expensive and has less ports. I know that they operate at different speeds and I was wondering which one I should pick up. I don't plan on connecting flash drives to it, only my keyboard, mouse, and a usb mic. Will my peripherals be slower on the 2.0 hub? Like will my mic sound worse on that? Clarifications on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
For those devices, it is unlikely you'll see any benefit from a USB 3.0 hub versus 2.0. Keyboard, mouse and mic are easily handled by USB 2.0 bus speeds. Other devices however, such as external storage, would definitely benefit from USB 3.0 speeds. Personally, I wouldn't buy any USB 2.0 hub device these days. It's just really pointless and the price difference is usually almost nominal anyhow.
For those devices, it is unlikely you'll see any benefit from a USB 3.0 hub versus 2.0. Keyboard, mouse and mic are easily handled by USB 2.0 bus speeds. Other devices however, such as external storage, would definitely benefit from USB 3.0 speeds. Personally, I wouldn't buy any USB 2.0 hub device these days. It's just really pointless and the price difference is usually almost nominal anyhow.

Solution

thesinghman

Prominent
Dec 28, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply! Yea I was worried that my devices might slow down. I'll just get a 3.0 hub as the price difference isn't that big :)