Do I need USB with Win10 files on it?

theomninick1

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Have a 16GB USB 3.0 which I used to install Win 10 Pro on my PC back in December. I left it untouched, worried that I might need it swiftly for any issues or re-installs. However, I'm comfortably into the PC and don't feel like I really need to do a re-install atm. Since it contains the files downloaded from the Microsoft official ISO on the web, do I actually need this? Or can I just format it? Nothing personal is on it, I just used it to install Windows, switched boot priority to the SSD I installed it on, and haven't used it since. Would love the storage for playing videos on my TV downstairs which has USB ports, since it's the only viable USB I have for that.

Solution
If you could use the storage space, then there's really no need to keep ahold of the USB with Windows on it.

IF you need to reinstall in future, I assume you have access to another PC where you could re-download/create again?

Realistically, it's best to download/create at the time anyway, as you'll get the latest Windows ISO - opposed to an older version where you'll need to re-install all the updates etc.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you could use the storage space, then there's really no need to keep ahold of the USB with Windows on it.

IF you need to reinstall in future, I assume you have access to another PC where you could re-download/create again?

Realistically, it's best to download/create at the time anyway, as you'll get the latest Windows ISO - opposed to an older version where you'll need to re-install all the updates etc.

Solution