GPU: GTX 1060 (no OC)
CPU: I5 4460
RAM: 8GB hyperX 1600mhz.
MOBO: ASROCK H81M-DGS-R2.0 M-ATX
PSU: Corsair CX 550m
STORAGE: 1TB WD, 128GB ADATA SU800 SSD
CASE: Fractal Design Define Mini C
Resolution 1680x1050

I really like to play a lot of early access games and AAA Games. This includes Rust/Battlegrounds to gtaV/Witcher 3. The reason why I am suggesting to get 16GB is that games like Rust and battlegrounds absolutely chew up all the memory. This then also causes stuttering and freezing that can be very annoying. I am also getting an i7 4790 and a brand new 1920x1080p monitor as the i5 can be a slight bottleneck in the AAA games and my monitor atm is VERY old. I use Razer cortex in general in games such as battlegrounds and rust to save as much memory as possible but I still get a lot of stuttering. I am just planning to deck my PC out to the best that I need it to be to run games in good graphics being AAA or early access. as for the GPU, I can always OC it if I really need that extra performance but with something like ram it's tricky for me as I really want it but is it worth it? especially with the prices atm as I got my first stick for only £30 but now has gone up to £55. Do I "need" 16GB or do I just want it and will it really help me out for how expensive it really is? (note I only play games don't do editing or anything like that)

Solution
16GB is the recommended amount for basically any games. 8GB is considered bare minimum. I doubt you'll be sorely limited by RAM by going only 8GB, but it is definitely better to go 16GB to ensure that you never run into a problem with RAM. RAM is particularly useful when having many tabs open on google chrome, gaming, and streaming, for example. It's always good to have 16GB of RAM for when it's needed.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
16GB is the recommended amount for basically any games. 8GB is considered bare minimum. I doubt you'll be sorely limited by RAM by going only 8GB, but it is definitely better to go 16GB to ensure that you never run into a problem with RAM. RAM is particularly useful when having many tabs open on google chrome, gaming, and streaming, for example. It's always good to have 16GB of RAM for when it's needed.

Solution

VJ_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017
If you feel you need an upgrade, then definitely go for an upgrade and its worth for the gaming. But buy the same 8GB hyperX 1600mhz ram as the old one for avoiding compatibility issue.

Peace.