[SOLVED] Do I really need a G sync Monitor?

Mar 11, 2021
I am looking at this monitor BenQ Zowie XL2411k, and I am interested in its dyac feature because I play Valorant a lot, but if I play different games and It doesn't run enough frames do I see tearing? Idk I have a 75hz monitors right now. If I run my games above the monitors hz does that mean no tearing? I am only worried that I if I don't have g sync on a monitor and I end up playing CyberPunk 2077 running at 60 fps I would prob see tearing, Maybe.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 2 different v-sync types. G-Sync and Freesync use a controller circuit pcb that's physically inside the monitor. Every other style of vsync is controlled by the gpu or monitor itself without the benefit of that circuit board.

When gsync first came out, it was proprietary to nvidia, so you needed an nvidia card or it would not function. AMD answered with Freesync, that was open to any card. Nvidia has since changed their policy.

What gsync does is match up the refresh of the monitor with the refresh of the gpu, allowing a 1:1 ratio. That basically eliminates tearing below the monitor refresh. For fps above the monitors refresh, nothing. So it's only particularly useful in 1440p or 4k, where gpus can struggle to get max fps above monitor refresh.

Vsync, adaptive vsync etc works differently. That changes refresh in blocks. Original vsync would chop refresh in halfs, so on a 60Hz monitor, if you got 50fps, the screen will cut to 30Hz, to keep the fps above refresh, then to 15Hz,7Hz etc. Pretty terrible and useless.

That saw major improvements with adaptive vsync, native to nvidia gpus, where Hz wasn't halved, but taken down in much smaller stages. If you had 50fps, refresh would be 45Hz, barely below, so reducing tearing, and making for more seemless game play.

Do ppl 'need' G-Sync? Not necessarily. But it can be a deciding factor when games are changed. Not everyone plays one specific game style. There's a big difference between the 200+ fps of CSGO and 60fps of heavily modded Skyrim. One benefits from G-Sync, the other really not.