[SOLVED] Do I really need a new graphics card for this HP p7-1038?

mynameisjoe1

Distinguished
May 8, 2015
Hi all,
So this isn't my computer, but a friend of mines. It's an HP p7-1038 which was released in 2011. The problem is that it doesnt support virtual backgrounds while using Zoom in Windows 10. I already added an SSD and installed Windows 10 already so that it's up to date. But this seems like it needs a new video card. Am I right?. Anyways the video card is (im assuming) the default ATI Radeon 4200 with 512mb's RAM according to this link:
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c02871222

So should she upgrade to a new video card and which one do you guys recommend getting?. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hi all,
So this isn't my computer, but a friend of mines. It's an HP p7-1038 which was released in 2011. The problem is that it doesnt support virtual backgrounds while using Zoom in Windows 10. I already added an SSD and installed Windows 10 already so that it's up to date. But this seems like it needs a new video card. Am I right?. Anyways the video card is (im assuming) the default ATI Radeon 4200 with 512mb's RAM according to this link:

So should she upgrade to a new video card and which one do you guys recommend getting?. Thanks in advance.
If the monitor is plugged into the ports near the ethernet and USB ports then the Radeon HD 4200 graphics is being used. The HD...
Hi all,

If the monitor is plugged into the ports near the ethernet and USB ports then the Radeon HD 4200 graphics is being used. The HD 4200 was already extremely weak for onboard graphics back in 2009 when it was released. It would not surprise me if Microsoft stopped supporting that GPU for many newer functions and upgrading the GPU would be your best or only option.

Upgrading to at absolute minimum a GT 710 would be a huge 250-300% upgrade with the GDDR5 version. If the system is going to be used for light gaming, the absolute minimum GPU you would want is a GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 version which is around 300-350% faster than the GT 710. These two GPUs require no PSU upgrades as an AMD card might (except some lower end models) and they are still usually available because of how low end they are compared to something like a GTX 1650.

I would say the GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 version is probably the best overall "cheap" GPU upgrade at around $100-120 if bought new.

Solution

mynameisjoe1

Distinguished
May 8, 2015
If the monitor is plugged into the ports near the ethernet and USB ports then the Radeon HD 4200 graphics is being used. The HD 4200 was already extremely weak for onboard graphics back in 2009 when it was released. It would not surprise me if Microsoft stopped supporting that GPU for many newer functions and upgrading the GPU would be your best or only option.

Upgrading to at absolute minimum a GT 710 would be a huge 250-300% upgrade with the GDDR5 version. If the system is going to be used for light gaming, the absolute minimum GPU you would want is a GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 version which is around 300-350% faster than the GT 710. These two GPUs require no PSU upgrades as an AMD card might (except some lower end models) and they are still usually available because of how low end they are compared to something like a GTX 1650.

I would say the GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 version is probably the best overall "cheap" GPU upgrade at around $100-120 if bought new.
So would Virtual Backgrounds in Zoom work if I upgraded the video card?.

This is the one right?:
https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-GeForce-...words=GT+1030+2GB+GDDR5&qid=1613961670&sr=8-1

So would Virtual Backgrounds in Zoom work if I upgraded the video card?.

This is the one right?:
https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-GeForce-...words=GT+1030+2GB+GDDR5&qid=1613961670&sr=8-1
That GPU should actually solve the issue of the Windows 10 not supporting the Radeon HD 4200 GPU on the motherboard, because what is likely happening is there is no supported GPU driver being installed and a properly installed and working GPU is required. It's possible there is an HD 6450 installed that would negate the immediate need for a new GPU. However, in the near future Microsoft or AMD may end all support for that HD 6450 and you would still need a new GPU later on.

So before buying anything, check to see if there is another set of monitor ports at the expansion bays on the back of the system case. You could also open the device manager and check the display adapters section to see if there is another GPU installed. You can do this by typing run in Windows 10 search to find the Windows 10 Run app. Open the Run app and type devmgmt.msc and click ok to start the device manager. Expand the display adaper section to see if there is both an Radeon HD 4200 and a Radeon HD 6450 or some other GPU installed.

TRENDING THREADS