Do I really need a sound card for games?

Thor159

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
I want to know that do I really need a sound card for gaming.

I want to play games like GTA V, CS:GO, etc. In the system requirements there is written sound cards are required.

My motherboard, GIGABYTE H61M-S has an audio jack. Is it enough for gaming or I will need a sound card?

Solution
Why don't you first listen to the onboard audio and decide afterwards? You can always get a sound card later if you feel that sound is lacking.
For most setups and most people onboard sound is adequate. Certain headsets like the Razer Tiamat 7.1's are too much for most onboard sound cards but this type of issue is rare. Also some audiophiles may notice an improvement when using high end headsets or speakers.

itsmedatguy

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
It depends on your sound system. My audio system is worth at least as much as my PC, if not more, and I'm definitely not going to run my speakers out of the on-board audio input (for a number of reasons). What headphones or speakers are you using?

Until the Z170 / H170 generation of boards, I would have said no. Now I have to say maybe.

Used to be if you spent $100 or so on a board, you got an audio subsystem (ALC 1150 or equivalent) well suited for Gaming. That is no longer true. While MSI, Gigabyte and even Asrock, have equipped most of their boards between $ 90 and $150 with ALC 1150 or equivalent, Asus cheaped out and went with ALC 887 / 892. It won't cost you any more money to buy an equivalently featured board for the same money (most often less) from a competing manufacturer, but if you find yaself stuck with ALC 887 / 892, Id consider an upgrade.

So in short ... No the purchase of a sound card as an add on is not worth it .... as long as you buy a MoBo with a capable sound system. And if you bought a sound card to make up for purchasing the wrong MoBo, it will cost you at least half of what the MoBo cost to get it/

You are asking if you need to get B instead of A ... but you haven't told us what A is. What MoBo do you have or what one are you considering buying ?

If the MoBo has ALC 1150, don't buy it and instead get one that does. If you have LC 1150, then the question is moot.