Do I really need fast ram for ryzen?

Solution
To original OP, I will counter your question with a question:
Need for what? Are you trying to get the best fps possible in games? If so Intel might be a better choice.

Do you have a 60Hz monitor and no plans to get a 120Hz+ monitor? Then probably not.
Are you going to be streaming games? Then probably not AND you want ryzen.

There are a lot of variables we simply dont know so its hard to even tell you that you need a PC.... (maybe you want to cook eggs on top of your ram... who knows?).

In terms of What ram module to get for Ryzen, its not as simple as it seems. Yes, the official ram sticks for AM4 should do 3200 MHz, but they still default at 2133, and everything else is considered overclocking so its not covered by warranty nor...

Sokrey

Prominent
May 13, 2017

should i get the 2400mhz kit and oc it to 2666mhz?

Sokrey

Prominent
May 13, 2017

Will i be able to get nice gaming performance with one of those ram speeds?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($156.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($83.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $659.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-19 06:44 EDT-0400

Problems solved. Got you 16gb 3000mhz ram for $50 more than your build and gave up zero performance or quality.

Sep 10, 2013
To original OP, I will counter your question with a question:
Need for what? Are you trying to get the best fps possible in games? If so Intel might be a better choice.

Do you have a 60Hz monitor and no plans to get a 120Hz+ monitor? Then probably not.
Are you going to be streaming games? Then probably not AND you want ryzen.

There are a lot of variables we simply dont know so its hard to even tell you that you need a PC.... (maybe you want to cook eggs on top of your ram... who knows?).

In terms of What ram module to get for Ryzen, its not as simple as it seems. Yes, the official ram sticks for AM4 should do 3200 MHz, but they still default at 2133, and everything else is considered overclocking so its not covered by warranty nor its guaranteed.

I will give you an example of what I did:

I needed 32Gb for Unreal Engine 4 so... I googled and found out Samsung B-Die seemed to OC nicely.
I waited for a new BIOS update, and checked this: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_agesa_1006_performance_update_review,1.html

Turns out my memory can 3200MHz, so I will try to do that myself. But there is no guarantee.

Use your motherboards QVL or compatibility list to see exact models that have been tested to work with your ram and to see what speeds they are supported to (OC is another matter entirely).

Solution