Do I really need fast storage if it's just storage?

Toxikaraidur

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
5400rpm 8TB drive vs 7200rpm 8TB drive.

I know the usual differences between cost per gigabyte/terabyte in terms of OEMS, specific features such as cache, ramp load tech, vibration protection, and a lot of other stuff... But the two basic questions here are these:

Do I really need 7200RPM's of performance if it's just going to be storing some stuff? I might eventually have to put some 'heavy performance requirement' stuff on the drive, so would that be a more 'future proof' way?

Or should i go with the 5400RPM's of quiet, cool easily manageable storage and take the hit on performance should I actually need to store and use it for multitasking / possible heavy gaming?

I know that I am being vague and it is intentional. I know that there is a world of "well it depends on etc so on and so forth". This is basically the final step in choosing whether or not it's worth it for either drive.

Solution
If there is a chance you might use it for more strenuous tasks, then might as well get 7200rpm. Its not like either is expensive or fast in comparison to ssd, or even some hdd. I had a WD velociraptor in my last PC, 10k rpm, but I know they don't exist anymore as they were driven extinct by ssd

Colif

Win 11 Master
If there is a chance you might use it for more strenuous tasks, then might as well get 7200rpm. Its not like either is expensive or fast in comparison to ssd, or even some hdd. I had a WD velociraptor in my last PC, 10k rpm, but I know they don't exist anymore as they were driven extinct by ssd

Solution

TRENDING THREADS