Do I REALLY need G-synch/ Freesync?

aocon62

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018
I was just curious, as i am upgrading my gpu and monitor around this time; do i really need to buy a adaptive refresh rate display? I have never seen it in person, neither have I played at anything higher than 1080p at 60 hz. Is the "Gysnch tax" worth paying for?

Solution
Are you bothered by screen tearing, and/or do you find that v-sync causes noticeable stutter or input lag? If not, then no you don't need it.

Freesync monitors generally aren't significantly more expensive than similar non-adaptive sync monitors. And apparently Nvidia is going to be enabling freesync support for their GPUs in a driver update tomorrow.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Are you bothered by screen tearing, and/or do you find that v-sync causes noticeable stutter or input lag? If not, then no you don't need it.

Freesync monitors generally aren't significantly more expensive than similar non-adaptive sync monitors. And apparently Nvidia is going to be enabling freesync support for their GPUs in a driver update tomorrow.

Solution

aocon62

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

Ok, thanks. Thats what i needed to hear.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
What I read it's best for is when you can't maintain a solid 60 fps (or whatever refresh rate you are trying for) it lets the framerate vary a little without messing up the graphics. As it happens I have a freesync 75hz monitor and a GTX 1070 so I will be trying it soon with a bit of luck but honestly I have never had a problem gaming without it.