[SOLVED] Do I really need to buy a replacement fan?

sammael1984

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Hello, guys. I know this might be a stupid question, but I have a very limited knowledge in this particular aspect. Please help me.

I have an H440 NZXT case, which comes with three 120mm front intake fans. The one at the bottom of the case stopped working. I have been over four years with this PC, so I guess it was bound to happen at some point.

This is my set up:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming
Memory: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital WDC (SATA )
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB
PSU: EVGA 850 G2 80 Plus Gold

I don't really know how airflow works, so I might be risking the satefty of my other components by ignoring this situation. I did some research, and concluded that these would be the best fans in the long term:

Noctua NF - A 12x25 PWM (120mm)

Even though the other two front intake fans are still working, I am planning on replacing those two, so all of my fans get a fresh start. Again, I am looking at the future here.

My questions are:

Operating my PC without the bottom front intake fan could affect the rest of my components in the long run?

Are those Noctuas an overkill for my PC?

I really appreciate your support, guys.

Sincerely, Paul.

Solution
No. If your thermals are fine and you're not running into overheating/thermal issues then you're good till the end of time or when the entire system is retired.

The fans you've chosen are more meant for watercooling radiators or high fin density stacked cooling towers/heatsinks or devices that require a fan with high static pressure even though they can be used as a case airflow fan.

They cost about 30USD each, it's pricey, not overkill however they are a worthwhile investment. If you don't like the color scheme you could look at their Chromax lineup or their Redux lineups for a mute color tone.

Lutfij

Titan
No. If your thermals are fine and you're not running into overheating/thermal issues then you're good till the end of time or when the entire system is retired.

The fans you've chosen are more meant for watercooling radiators or high fin density stacked cooling towers/heatsinks or devices that require a fan with high static pressure even though they can be used as a case airflow fan.

They cost about 30USD each, it's pricey, not overkill however they are a worthwhile investment. If you don't like the color scheme you could look at their Chromax lineup or their Redux lineups for a mute color tone.

Solution

sammael1984

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015

Hey, Lutfij, how are you doing, man? I appreciate your help with this matter. I was about to pull the trigger on those Noctua fans. I was a little worried the absence of a fan would cause some major problems down the road. This puts me at ease. I will definitely stay like this.

I had no idea those Noctua fans were primarily aimed for watercooling radiators and heatsinks. I'm always looking to learn new things. Once again, mate. Thanks a lot for your time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
2 main things to look at when it comes to airflow, that's cpu idle temps and gpu load temps. If those have risen above what is normal for your pc, then yes that bottom fan can be said to be somewhat important. How important is upto you and your comfort zone.

As to replacements, there's plenty of options, that'll be decided by your tastes and ability. If you want argb fans or rgb fans or led or plain, whether your motherboard has argb/rgb capability or needs external controls etc.

Once you figure out what you want, choices as to decent and value, color or aesthetics etc can be found.