[SOLVED] Do i really need to deactivate my windows 10 license to change hardware?

Solution
What hardware are you changing?

If your license is not linked to a Microsoft account, it's linked to your motherboard. If you change that, then you Windows license goes with it and you'd need a new one. If you're not changing motherboards, it's a non-issue. If you are, then there's no reason to not link it to a MS account.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
What hardware are you changing?

If your license is not linked to a Microsoft account, it's linked to your motherboard. If you change that, then you Windows license goes with it and you'd need a new one. If you're not changing motherboards, it's a non-issue. If you are, then there's no reason to not link it to a MS account.

-Wolf sends

Solution

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Yeah, you should link it to a MS account, it would make it easier. If for any reason you can’t and if this is a retail version of Windows, you will be able to transfer the license upon changing the motherboard but that will require a call to MS. You won’t speak to a human though, it’s all automated.

Lil’bertz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Yeah, you should link it to a MS account, it would make it easier. If for any reason you can’t and if this is a retail version of Windows, you will be able to transfer the license upon changing the motherboard but that will require a call to MS. You won’t speak to a human though, it’s all automated.

i bought my license from a physical store not online would that be a problem?

Wolfshadw

Titan
so i need to link it to a MS account? ill be changing everything including the motherboard

If you intend to reuse that license on your new hardware (and not use it on your old hardware), then yes. You need to link it to a Microsoft Account prior to making any hardware changes.

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change <--- Read this BEFORE making any changes

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Lil’bertz