[SOLVED] Do I really need to do anything to my BIOS ? (MSI B365M PRO-VDH MOBO)

Nov 2, 2019
So I am getting a pc with an i5 9600K cpu and a MSI B365M PRO-VDH motherboard and I was wondering, do I need to mess around in the BIOS settings ? I mean sure, I'll open it up the first time to see if everything is plugged in and all that, but do I actually need to update or change any settings ? I am terribly uninformed in BIOS and motherboard areas so I'd like to just leave them be, if I can. I also believe that the CPU and the motherboard are compatible but it wouldn't hurt if you guys could confirm it, as I have no other CPU's to update it with.

So the question is do I need to touch BIOS other than taking a glance at it and installing windows afterwards or do I need to change some settings or even prepare it for the windows install ? I am also going to be installing Windows for the first time so again, I am terribly uninformed in these areas.

Solution
Yes, that CPU is compatible with that motherboard and its original bios, there is one updated, but it would do nothing for you so no need to update it.

You should be pretty good with the default settings on that new of a board with W10.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, that CPU is compatible with that motherboard and its original bios, there is one updated, but it would do nothing for you so no need to update it.

You should be pretty good with the default settings on that new of a board with W10.

Solution
Nov 2, 2019

Thank you for the answer, it really helped. I'll just go on and install Windows and use the computer then. Cheers!

Hmmm. I wouldn't say that straight off the bat, although @RealBeast is pretty close.

I would say that the need to go to the bios, might depend on what ram you are using. You may need to set an XMP profile so the ram will run at it's rated speed. Now, you can do this pre install, or post install of Windows. It might be a good idea to do it post install. But after that you might need to go into the bios and set XMP, or perhaps even set manually. Apart from that I'd agree with @RealBeast. There is no need to change anything else in the bios.

Although you do have an overclocable CPU, your mobo can't overclock it, and that would really be the only other reason to go into the bios, and have a good understanding of it.

As mentioned, let us know if you have other issues. You can PM us, seeing as the thread is closed.

Nov 2, 2019
Hmmm. I wouldn't say that straight off the bat, although @RealBeast is pretty close.

I would say that the need to go to the bios, might depend on what ram you are using. You may need to set an XMP profile so the ram will run at it's rated speed. Now, you can do this pre install, or post install of Windows. It might be a good idea to do it post install. But after that you might need to go into the bios and set XMP, or perhaps even set manually. Apart from that I'd agree with @RealBeast. There is no need to change anything else in the bios.

Although you do have an overclocable CPU, your mobo can't overclock it, and that would really be the only other reason to go into the bios, and have a good understanding of it.

As mentioned, let us know if you have other issues. You can PM us, seeing as the thread is closed.
Well I am getting 2666 Mhz RAM but that I am sure it'll downclock to 2133 by itself and that can be solved easily later on. As for the overclocking, I merely bought the 9600k because it was current cheaper than the rest.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

TRENDING THREADS