Do I really need to update my newly bought 2tb 860 Evo ?

Oct 13, 2018
I just bought my first SSD 860 Evo (2tb) and I'm debating for days wither to update it first or not
the reasons for that as follow:

1- after searching it turned out in rare cases some updates ruin the SSD (can move data but games always freeze / cannot boot SSD / etc...)
2- after going to Samsung website i found firmware download links for all SSDs (960/970/850/840) except the 860 series which was creepy (is it perfect from the get go or the last updated firmware was destructive)
3- (Main Reason XD) too lazy to install Samsung Magician + this SSD is going to be inside my ps4pro

Help ? skip update and use it ? update then use it ?

If your main reason is that you're too lazy to install Samsung Magician, you've wasted more time posting this than actually going through the update procedure.

That being said. I can't find any compatibility list on which SSDs do or don't work, and which firmware they used. I guess it's always a gamble. Try it first. Does it work fine? Then leave it. Does it bug out? Then update the firmware.

Oct 13, 2018

thanks

don't like gambles so i will stick to the stock firmware
though i wish Samsung would have a page they list all the firmware for each SSD and write their details (fixes/improvement/don't update/etc..)

I'd definitely advise that. I can't seem to find a changelog history with firmware versions, Samsung just posts a new .ISO file on their website when an update is available. Simply try the SSD as is. Leave it be if it works fine, only update when you run into problems.

TRENDING THREADS