Question Do I Really Need to Upgrade?

blackop

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
Thanks in advance!

I don't have the cash for a new system yet. I'm not really gaming anymore. I'm using my PC to write, watch movies, stream and listen to music. So I'm trying to upgrade... something. I do have very small skips during action scenes in films. I can afford a new GF-1050, which seems to suit my needs? Or is this the CPU making very small skips? I store my movies on my mechanical HDD.
Thanks!

This is the one I had in mind:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce...050&cm_re=geforce_1050-_-14-126-239-_-Product

intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.2GHZ, Turboburst enabled: 3.5 GHZ intel HD 530 GPU
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
8 GB DDR-400 G.Skill
LG 29" IPS LED Ultra Wide 2K monitor
Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD 250 GB
Western Digital 1TB HDD

Last edited:

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
Maybe a driver or software issue? What software are you using? Try playing with VLC or something else if already using.
if your monitor is 4k, make sure you are using the display port connector. The HDMI output for the HD530 only supports 24hz at full 4k res. That might show as visible stuttering in fast moving scenes since there could be a frame rate conversion happening.

blackop

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
Deesider,

I'm using the latest build of Windows 10. To play movies, I'm using the latest version of iTunes. I will try it with VLC and see what happens. I don't know if I can play movies purchased via the iTunes movie store can be played in VLC, but I'll give it a try. My monitor is only 2K, and I'm using an HDMI cable for that.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have the cash for a new system yet. I'm not really gaming anymore. I'm using my PC to write, watch movies, stream and listen to music. So I'm trying to upgrade... something. I do have very small skips during action scenes in films. I can afford a new GF-1050, which seems to suit my needs? Or is this the CPU making very small skips? I store my movies on my mechanical HDD.
Thanks!

This is the one I had in mind:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gtx-1050-cerberus-gtx1050-o2g/p/N82E16814126239?Description=geforce 1050&cm_re=geforce_1050--14-126-239--Product

intel Core i5 6500 @ 3.2GHZ, Turboburst enabled: 3.5 GHZ intel HD 530 GPU
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
8 GB DDR-400 G.Skill
LG 29" IPS LED Ultra Wide 2K monitor
Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD 250 GB
Western Digital 1TB HDD

Doubt it's your system speed that is causing issues with movies, are you sure it's not the monitor that's not the issue? What format are these movies in? Have you tested with several sources, online streaming, YouTube, Netflix, etc...? Try a clean Windows setup?

With that system you can easily get a video card for faster speed in games and video in general but it should not be needed.

blackop

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
Doubt it's your system speed that is causing issues with movies, are you sure it's not the monitor that's not the issue? What format are these movies in? Have you tested with several sources, online streaming, YouTube, Netflix, etc...? Try a clean Windows setup?

With that system you can easily get a video card for faster speed in games and video in general but it should not be needed.

Glad to hear it's not my system. What should I look for to see if it's my monitor? The movies are in HD format from the iTunes store. Streaming through those platforms are just fine. No problems at all. My resolution in Windows is 2560X1080. Thoughts?

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
Frustrating that it doesn't quite work. HDMI 1.4 on the HD530 iGPU can easily provide 2560X1080 at 60Hz, but if you can, borrow a displayport cable and try it. Maybe the motherboard implementation of the HDMI out is causing an issue? What does Windows report as the refresh rate?
Perhaps more likely to be a software issue though. What's the CPU and GPU load like during playback?

If all else fails, maybe use Amazon instead of iTunes...

blackop

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
Frustrating that it doesn't quite work. HDMI 1.4 on the HD530 iGPU can easily provide 2560X1080 at 60Hz, but if you can, borrow a displayport cable and try it. Maybe the motherboard implementation of the HDMI out is causing an issue? What does Windows report as the refresh rate?
Perhaps more likely to be a software issue though. What's the CPU and GPU load like during playback?

If all else fails, maybe use Amazon instead of iTunes...

True. I should go ahead and buy a DP cable. But glad to hear my gear packs what it takes.

The refresh rate is 6oHZ. The CPU load only goes to 14% and the GPU stays between 14% and 25%.

I think this is an issue with iTunes, honestly. Sigh...

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
Tried it and same result. I've searched all over google and a lot of people are having the same issue with iTunes. Seems to be an issue with iTunes itself. I'll continue to search for a solution.
I think there are two versions of iTunes - the normal one, and the windows store UWP version. Try the other version and maybe that will help?

blackop

Distinguished
May 4, 2012
I think there are two versions of iTunes - the normal one, and the windows store UWP version. Try the other version and maybe that will help?

Tried it. Same result. I uninstalled the app first, then installed the full version from Apple's site. They are both the same, but the one in the MS store doesn't come with the bloat-ware of iTunes. Specifically what Itunes lists in startup. No background services.

TRENDING THREADS