[SOLVED] Do I really need to waste more money?

Jun 18, 2020
I recently upgraded my gpu from a gtx 1060 3gb to a rx 5700 xt. I have also upgraded my ram and added a harddrive to this prebuilt pc. The thing is that the performance is great and games run smoothet than ever before. There is one problem though. After 2 or 3 hours of doing everything from playing cities skylines to watching youtube my monitors go black and the audio gliches out before disepering. I dont know which one but some fan does some strange thing. It gets in a loop where it stansds still and then bursts for a second and so on. After that its just to turn of the computer and power on and everythings fine for 2 to 3 hours. In the event viewer a "critical error" occurs everytime and it reads that something unexpected happend to the power. All of this info sound like a psu problem but I really would like not to buy a new one. If you have any clue to what this is exept a psu problem or if you have got some troubleshooting tips. Please let me know!

Solution
thats typical amd gpu behaviour im afraid. there are countless reports of 5700xt's having driver issues causing them to black or blue screen.

although it would help if you could tell us what power supply is in the system, thanks

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
thats typical amd gpu behaviour im afraid. there are countless reports of 5700xt's having driver issues causing them to black or blue screen.

although it would help if you could tell us what power supply is in the system, thanks

Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020

I have no idea why you shelled out money to upgrade from a already 1060GB card. The 5700XT performance is about the same. A real upgrade would have been going to a 2080 or 2080 Super. As for your issue its a TDR issue. Time Detection Recovery. It gives GPU some time to conform with the driver and OS before it gives up and you see the crash of black screen while audio is still playing. Usually this can also be a motherboard issue but since your PC is new I doubt that. You can grab a app called TDR Manipulator and increase the time in seconds for the TDR to kick in and increasing the value gives video card more time before it hangs. Good Luck 😯

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
Oh my bad I thought I saw it was a 1070 in which case is similar in performance but I would still go nVidia but that is a preference.

5700xt is comparable to the 1080ti. certainly not the 1070 btw. but you are right, as of right now i can only recommend nvidia cards even if the 5700xt offers 2070 super performance for 150 pounds less. its just not worth the risk. sure if you get a good card its better than anything nvidia can offer. but if you dont. ur screwed

Reactions: jonnyguru