[SOLVED] Do I settle for invasive Win10 on my Ryzen 5 system, or install Win7 and never have updates? Or jump back to AMD-FX?

Jan 3, 2019
I'm a bit torn. I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong area, but "Systems" seemed appropriate.

Trying to build a new system, currently based off of Ryzen 5 + X470 board, but...I see there is a problem.

(1) If I install Windows 10, i'm screwed in terms of privacy. As y'all know, Windows 10 grants M$ an unending license to comb through my personal files, emails, texts, as they see fit (see here:https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/129376/can-microsoft-access-all-private-data-if-a-user-installs-windows-10), and force updates on me forever. Not very palatable.

(2) I have a Windows 7 copy, and would gladly install it (and use a PS2 mouse workaround for known issues of USB divers)...but unless I am willing to compromise my system and security by patching the unofficial "wufuc" by "Ziffy", I can not really get any updates to Windows 7, as all Ryzen chips seem to now forbid Windows 7 updates, and might be left with gaping security vulnerabilities (see: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/248069-unofficial-patch-unblocks-windows-7-8-1-updates-kaby-lake-ryzen).

Choice (3), unfortunately, would be to take a giant step back, and return my current Ryzen CPU and X470 board, and get an AMD "FX" based system (or Intel 4th generation) that supports Windows 7 updates. Also a crappy choice, as the whole point of the upgrade was to have a fast system.

What on Earth would you do?

Solution
Well you'll be out of the update period for Windows 7 in a year. The ways I see that article, a lot of it seems to have to do with files that leave your PC, like say if you use OneDrive, use their email app, etc.

Personally, on my system, I have created a local account, and store things on my local drive mostly. If you wanted, use a firewall to block a lot of things from going out. That should be possible I would think if you are that concerned.

But if you are that worried about your email, files etc, hopefully you aren't using apple, or Google products, or Amazon from that matter. I would guess they already have all sorts of information on us. Not only that, but I would think Microsoft could easily push updates to older...
Well you'll be out of the update period for Windows 7 in a year. The ways I see that article, a lot of it seems to have to do with files that leave your PC, like say if you use OneDrive, use their email app, etc.

Personally, on my system, I have created a local account, and store things on my local drive mostly. If you wanted, use a firewall to block a lot of things from going out. That should be possible I would think if you are that concerned.

But if you are that worried about your email, files etc, hopefully you aren't using apple, or Google products, or Amazon from that matter. I would guess they already have all sorts of information on us. Not only that, but I would think Microsoft could easily push updates to older versions of Windows if they wanted in order to enable tracking on those devices as well.

Be smart and don't put a lot of personal information on the cloud.

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
With several tens (if not hundreds) of millions of Windows 10 users, I'm fairly certain that Microsoft really isn't all that interested in what you or I are doing. They just have algorithms which collate your usage into a profile so they can send appropriate ads to you. If you don't like that, there's always Linux.

Also, I would point out that your Internet Service Provider does exactly the same thing and they have a much smaller user base. Additionally, they don't care what OS you're using. Any request your system makes outside your own network is captured, stored, and collated into an ad machine (as well as stored for law enforcement).

And what do you think credit card companies and banks are doing with each and every card purchase you make? They even track what ATMs you use to generate a profile.

The point I'm trying to make is that, unless what you're doing throws up a red flag, No One Cares!

As for your decision, go with the Ryzen 5/X470 upgrade and Windows 10.

-Wolf sends

Jan 3, 2019

I see that seems to be the consensus, that it's OneNote and those things...but Microsoft's language specifically says they can access ALL of your personal files, on your own PC, for ANY reason, regardless if they "mainly" mean the stuff shared online, and that is...extremely concerning, to say the least. And I think that would be the case even on a "local" account. This is very concerning, and might even prevent a computer from being used for any sensitive information like keeping patient records for a healthcare facility, etc. And I'm sure that the Windows 7 updates, even until the 2020 deadline, will be sufficient to avoid many online vulnerabilities...that is, if I could download them...

I do wonder, is "raw" Windows 7, with no security updates, really terribly insecure and subject to easy remote access and hacking, if other security measures are taken (standard firewall stuff, disable remote desktop, antivirus, no downloading, etc)?

Do the upgrade.
Set your network to a metered connection which may temporarily stop updates.
Dont use Outlook and OneDrive.
Also save any sensitive files to a portable drive and then unplug it.
And unplug lan, or turn off wifi connection when cpu not in use by you so you can watch what is running and when.