Do I still need Filehistory/back up

Nov 29, 2018
Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you in advance for helping me out!

I would like to know if it is still useful to me to turn on filehistory or backups for my laptop and my PC. I save all my files on Google Drive, images on Google Photos and projects on Creative Cloud. I do not have anything in my documents, images, video's or downloads folder. Is it still worth it to turn on filehistory?

Thanks in advance and greetings,
Jordi

Ralston18

Titan
May come in handy that one time you forget to "save" on your own.

Or that save fails to execute for some reason.

You should have multiple backups (verified as working). Do your usual manual backups and let the file history/backups save elsewhere.

Mr. Murphy will show up sooner or later.....

Backups are always nice, like money and fun, there is no such thing as too much.

I suggest regular backups to an external drive and doing a drive image as well if you need to restore the whole system (I would do a core backup of only the operating system and programs not your files to keep space down and restore speeds up).

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
Jov, it seems that you are being vigilant regarding the protection of your data. Your method of operation involving storage of your data in the cloud leaves you with virtually nothing on your internal storage drive. Since File History is a backup of the files on your internal storage drive, and you have no files there, I say there is no need to turn on File History. The cloud systems you mentioned (where your data is stored) have their own means of backup. If you do create any local files that you want to backup, then by all means turn on File History.

The only local issue that you may have some day would be the restoration of Windows if that were to become corrupt. That is easily overcome as well, since you can freely download the latest version of Windows from Microsoft, and install it on the same or a new storage drive. There is no requirement for a product key either, because Microsoft has it on file and automatically checks to see if it matches up with your motherboard. If it matches, it is not even asked for during installation of Windows.

Nov 29, 2018
thank you all for your replies!

@ktriebol I think your answer lies closest to my thoughts. Everything that I do need to store is either on Google Drive, Google Photos or Creative Cloud. All of my old photos from back in the day are stored in Google Photos and on an external hard drive. I think there is indeed no point in turning on filehistory or backups. And what would be the chance of Google or Adobe losing my files...