[SOLVED] Do I still need to call Comcast to activate a new modem?

Blackink

Distinguished
I have ordered this router: Netgear Cable Modem CM500, and according to the instructions (Comcasts Web site), I plug this in directly into my computer, power it up fully, and it says I will have temporary Internet connection. See a copy and paste from their Web site below (notice what I put in BOLD):
    • Connect through an Ethernet cable
      • Plug the Ethernet cable into one of the open ports on your Gateway or modem until it clicks. Plug the other end into the Ethernet port of your computer. The Ethernet port will light up when successfully connected.
  • Activate Your Gateway or Modem
    Once you've established a temporary Internet connection and if you don't automatically see a welcome message to begin setup, open a web browser and go to xfinity.com/activate. Follow the on-screen prompts to verify your Xfinity account and complete the activation process.
Do modems give you Internet access even before someone like Comcast OK's/activates it???
I have been under the impression that in order to get Internet access with a new modem, I would need to call Comcast directly.

Has anyone installed a new modem, approved by Comcast, and have temporary Internet access right from the start?

Thanks,
Steve

Solution
I swapped modems back and forth while testing some modem to figure out what I wanted for our setup when we first got comcast/xfinity. It was easy enough to do it right online. Just be sure to activate it manually if the page doesn't automatically come up. :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not like the device isn't capable of communicating, that is its function. Just that until Xfinity approves the Mac address it may only be capable of going to a single website, theirs.

Been a while, but some years ago I bought my own modem and just ended up having to call them I believe. Even if you can get it working through their website, immediately do a speed test to make sure they provisioned your modem properly.

From what I have seen, they are quite stupid when it comes to this. They know that they didn't provide the modem, but they still try to send their standard commands to make it do things like their standard modems.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I set mine up about 4 years ago. About two years ago my promotional offering expired (though they modified twice before it was actually over). So I moved up to the next speed tier per their obvious predatory pricing (I don't need quite that much speed, but they don't offer any inbetween). Took care of that, but noticed no difference. Quick test later and they hadn't actually made the change. Had to call in and get another sales pitch (mind you I had literally just upgraded) to get them actually configure the appropriate bandwidth.

Though, so far the Netgear router I have has been doing a good job. Gets a little warm at times, and I have considered a tiny cooling fan.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
That's why they have it set up to do it online?!? So you don't have to talk with anyone...lolol
I do know that with the modem I have now, I did call them to activate it because there was no link online to do it yourself.

As long as the cmac or hfcmac is registered to your account as the active modem and you have an Xfinity Internet subscription it's fine.

No, you don't need to call comcast to activate your new modem. I just did mine recently when I upgraded to a gigabit plan with my new docsis 3.1 modem. Also again when I gave my old modem to a friend and last year when I moved into my new house. You just need an active Xfinity account.

When you plug in the modem, don't connect it to your router yet. Plug it directly into your laptop then power up the modem and wait for it to finish all the lights.

Then open a web browser and go to xfinity.com/activate . It doesn't always automatically redirect.

From there you'll type in your xfinity credentials and it'll automatically activate your new modem on your account. Once completed, you can connect the modem into the WAN port of your router and restart your modem and turn on your router.

I swapped modems back and forth while testing some modem to figure out what I wanted for our setup when we first got comcast/xfinity. It was easy enough to do it right online. Just be sure to activate it manually if the page doesn't automatically come up. :)

Solution

Blackink

Distinguished
What do you mean by activating it manually? By putting in the web page myself into the browser?
EDIT: Still no modem, FedEx is sitting on it in their warehouse and I can't get it myself. They say delivery Tuesday!!!!

What do you mean by activating it manually? By putting in the web page myself into the browser?
EDIT: Still no modem, FedEx is sitting on it in their warehouse and I can't get it myself. They say delivery Tuesday!!!!
Yep, that web page link or the equivalent. Usually, I would just try to do to almost anything and it would redirect me to it. Or just go to comcast/xfinity and you could get to it.

Ah yes, Fedex ground...this is why I dropped them when I used to own a business. UPS was so much better in our area.

Blackink

Distinguished
I'm all set. I finally got the modem delivered (Grrrrr.....FedEx!!!)
Followed the directions, connected to Xfinity's activation service, once I was done there, I waited maybe 5 minutes before all was done and working.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions/tips!