Do integrated gpus slow down the cpus?

Bogdan_4

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
I just brought a new pc, with everything except the gpu (im wating for the RX 480), so i had to use the integrated gpu and i noticed that the cpu (i5 6402p) isn't as fast as i've thought (browsing while having a game running in background is kidda slow).
Should i expect my cpu to perform faster after i get a dedicated gpu? Will it benefit from not using the Intel 510 integrated gpu?

What exactly are you noticing when leaving a game open in the background?

Most web browsers use some form of GPU accelerated rendering, and if your GPU is saturated by whatever is running in the background, it will show in your browser. With a sufficiently demanding game, this can happen on any GPU.

Bogdan_4

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015

Well first, it take an awful amount of time to minimize the game
Second, Mozila works slow and it even crashed 2-3 times.
Intel HD graphic driver also crashed few times when while minimizing

Window's settings is also slow.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Building off what Ecky said, the largest impact an iGPU has that I've seen with performance, would be using up some of the processor's TDP. I'm fairly certain a processor won't reach max turbo speed while the TDP is split between running a graphically intense game while simultaneously performing CPU side calculations to run said game.

You won't see this with a dedicated gpu however, and thermal power limits won't be as big of an issue for intel turbo boost to climb closer to its max frequency.

Sounds pretty normal. Could also be I/O related. What's your hard drive?

Also, what game?

Bogdan_4

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015

I believe so, i've instaled everything Intel(R) Driver Update Utility gave me.

Bogdan_4

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015

I have a 1TB SSHD from Seagate.
http://www.emag.ro/sshd-seagate-1tb-8gb-nand-64mb-cache-sata-iii-st1000dx001/pd/DPDBJBBBM/

Game: Guild wars 2