Do Intel test faulty, returned cpus?

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Ok, I know it might sound like a dumb question!

I returned my 4790k to Intel as I was pretty sure it was faulty, but not 100% sure. It had the same rarely POSTing issue on two different boards.

It was a really quick rma, I'll receive the replacement tomorrow, after sending it away yesterday. I'm just wondering if they just send a replacement immediately, without checking it, or if they run the old cpu through some tests, or if there's some in 'between' where they only check expensive or new cpus, or one in 10, or just replace quickly if they have loads of stock etc?

I'm not expecting anyone to really know the exact answers to this process, just curious on your 2c if you got\didn't get an rma.

If I know they'll do actually check an rma'd cpu, then I'll know that mine was definitely faulty, and so I can start disassembling my wc loop, and get ready to replace my old AMD board with the z97 again.

The motherboard and cpu were just sitting around in a box for the last year, I thought the warranty had expired. Recently I saw that someone here had a similar issue to mine, and so thought I'd check the cpu warranty.. A week left.. phew!

Solution
The answer probably is.....it depends.

I deal with warranty returns....and for some customers....we will ship them a replacement without doing a diagnosis first. Other customers....we will attempt to confirm if there was an actual defect.

Then there are defects we are already aware of and we know the symptoms....so we don't bother diagnosing those.

Being your RMA was really quick.....I would think.....they probably didn't diagnose your particular processor and they just sent you one. Diagnosing warranty returns generally takes a bit of time.

The answer probably is.....it depends.

I deal with warranty returns....and for some customers....we will ship them a replacement without doing a diagnosis first. Other customers....we will attempt to confirm if there was an actual defect.

Then there are defects we are already aware of and we know the symptoms....so we don't bother diagnosing those.

Being your RMA was really quick.....I would think.....they probably didn't diagnose your particular processor and they just sent you one. Diagnosing warranty returns generally takes a bit of time.

Solution

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013

OK, maybe it wasn't a dumb question then!

It was what I kind of suspected,as it was very quick.

Perfect answer. Thanks man..