[SOLVED] Do internal USB headers typically provide power if a power-only USB cable or USB data-blocker is used? (Anti-theft topic)

Feb 21, 2021
Context:

I just recently gifted my nephew his first gaming PC. Sadly, his living situation is unstable as my sister often moves from place to place and there are usually sketchy folks around. As I was building his PC I was considering putting a hidden GPS tracker in it, but I decided not to because of the monthly bill for tracking. Now I've changed my mind and I'm about to order a GPS tracker unit that can remain charged by USB and has battery operation when not on USB. I don't want it trying to connect to his PC for obvious reasons so I plan on using a USB data blocker port. I don't know if the internal USB headers would still provide power in this situation. My nephew knows that I will be doing this and not to tell anyone about it. It is unlikely that anyone that would be a thief in this situation would know anything about PC hardware or would find the hidden device.

The mobo is the Gigabyte B450 AORUS M.

I'm also open to input and discussion about this setup and additional anti-theft measures.

Thanks!

Solution
Context:

I just recently gifted my nephew his first gaming PC. Sadly, his living situation is unstable as my sister often moves from place to place and there are usually sketchy folks around. As I was building his PC I was considering putting a hidden GPS tracker in it, but I decided not to because of the monthly bill for tracking. Now I've changed my mind and I'm about to order a GPS tracker unit that can remain charged by USB and has battery operation when not on USB. I don't want it trying to connect to his PC for obvious reasons so I plan on using a USB data blocker port. I don't know if the internal USB headers would still provide power in this situation. My nephew knows that I will be doing this and not to tell anyone about...
Context:

I just recently gifted my nephew his first gaming PC. Sadly, his living situation is unstable as my sister often moves from place to place and there are usually sketchy folks around. As I was building his PC I was considering putting a hidden GPS tracker in it, but I decided not to because of the monthly bill for tracking. Now I've changed my mind and I'm about to order a GPS tracker unit that can remain charged by USB and has battery operation when not on USB. I don't want it trying to connect to his PC for obvious reasons so I plan on using a USB data blocker port. I don't know if the internal USB headers would still provide power in this situation. My nephew knows that I will be doing this and not to tell anyone about it. It is unlikely that anyone that would be a thief in this situation would know anything about PC hardware or would find the hidden device.

The mobo is the Gigabyte B450 AORUS M.

I'm also open to input and discussion about this setup and additional anti-theft measures.

Thanks!
If you use SW to block data USB than power stays on, it just prohibits interaction with data, KB, mouse etc will still run and of course have power for charging etc.

Solution