Do ISPs use the "potential bandwidth" of what you download in your monthly internet cap?

schwatzz

Distinguished
For example say I want to download something that is 100mb, however I decide to cancel the download after 20mb have been downloaded to my computer. Would the ISP still somehow count the 100mb as used in my monthly internet usage? Now I would like to think that this is not the case, but my internet usage seems to be quite high in a household with multiple users. I have begun to meter my connections to get a better estimate, but something seems off. I don't believe it to be the work of malware or someone using my connection.

Solution
if you set up the router for each device by allowing it to connect via MAC address only, with a static ip, you won't have to check the router because only those MAC's will be able to connect both wired and wireless

a simple test would be to run network monitor while gaming - and see what happens

schwatzz

Distinguished
Well I check my router from time to time to see who is logged in. I'm pretty sure it is not that some one hijacking my signal, it is password protected with WPA2 AES. I do game quite a bit but I have read that online sessions should not be using up too much bandwidth. I'm just trying to see if I am really using that much bandwidth up or if my ISP is trying to pull a fast one.

dingo07

Distinguished
if you set up the router for each device by allowing it to connect via MAC address only, with a static ip, you won't have to check the router because only those MAC's will be able to connect both wired and wireless

a simple test would be to run network monitor while gaming - and see what happens

Solution