Do laptops support NVIDIA 3D Surround?

a1rwan

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Hi, I'm connecting my laptop with three monitors and I wanted to ask, do laptops support 3D Surround? If so, does it apply to specific GPU's?

a1rwan

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

What about lower end laptops that have like g840m?

Nope http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-840m

None of the lower end GT and even GTX models have this capability. Keep in mind this is a laptop were talking about, only 5% of gaming laptop users are going to even use this capability because it takes a extremely expensive laptop to run triple monitors. Where as desktops it's more popular because it's way more budget friendly.

Only the GTX 965M, GTX 970M and GTX 980M have this capability.

Only laptops with the needed outputs and supported GPU's as mentioned above. Some laptops only have 1 DP or 1 HDMI output, so while the GPU they have do support 3 surround, your laptop physically can't connect to multiple displays.

Also note that even the high end GTX 980m only performs a bit under a desktop GTX 970.

The best (and most expensive) option you have is to get the Alienware with the graphics amplifier upgrade, if you must have a laptop:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/alienware-graphics-amplifier?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&sku=452-BBRG

Roy_35

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
To clarify something that was said that is incorrect...

Having one mDP port does not exclude one from using multiple monitors. Daisy chaining monitors with dual mDP ports and using a splitter are both options to reach multiple monitors. I myself utilize a mDP splitter to 3 HDMI adaptor.

mccarthytech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am trying to make this work with a mDP splitter to 3 HDMI adaptor, to three identical TVs from my Alienware 13. All three TVs and my laptop LCD work correctly in Windows, but when I try to get NVidia to span the displays with Surround the entire option is greyed out. I can't even get to the Configure screen. I figured out that the integrated LCD is connected to the Intel card, which confuses the Geforce, hitting identify on the first TV causes a 1 to appear on both it and the LCD, but they are not mirrored, or even the same resolution. I have also tried it with the laptop screen disabled, but Surround is still greyed out. I got surround working on a friend's Titan desktop card, and I use Quadro Mosaic on a regular basis, but now I am trying to span on my laptop with no luck. Am I missing something?