Question Do monitors just "die" one day and if so is it worth trying to fix them?

blx3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
one of the 3 monitors I use on my triple setup for the last 5 years suddenly seemed to die where it's just not turning on and working anymore... is it worth trying to find someone to fix it or should I invest in a new monitor? I've tried basic trouble shooting via connecting using different cords and to different pcs... no dice :(

Absolutely a monitor, and any other computer component, can die all of a sudden.

With monitor prices as they are, it's probably a better option to buy a new monitor rather than try to fix your current monitor. Unless, of course, you have an attachment to said monitor.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Unless it's an ultra high end monitor, that would cost you thousands of dollars to replace, I'd say most are not worth fixing. It would likely cost almost as much, or more, than the monitor is worth if it needs a major repair. If you can find a junk monitor with a shattered screen on ebay for cheap that uses the same electronics inside, that might be an option as it would just be a matter of swapping the circuit boards instead of trying to track down the fault on yours, but like with any electronic item, make sure that all sources of power are fully discharged before tinkering with it.