Do most people like ps3 or xbox 360

define "like" for me?

if you're looking for % market share in terms of ownership, last time I checked back in '09 wii had about 45% with ps3 and xbox splitting the rest. How has the situation changed since then, I'm not sure.

As far as how many people have ps3 exclusively over xbox or the other way around, no clue. I doubt anyone has a statistic such as that available.

6_5x47lapua

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
the xbox came out before ps3, so alot of people switched to it and fell in love, and became bias before giving the ps3 a chance. it is all personal preference.

ps3 pros:

free online play
doubles as a blu-ray player
more durable
better graphics (when on hdmi)
built in wireless (on earlier models xbox did not have this)
quiet
better controllers (in my opinion)
rechargable controllers
available TOSLink audio out (hd audio)

xbox pros:
more games
games come out sooner
more people
MAYBE slightly better servers?
party chat
xbox dashboard is more user friendly then ps3 XMB

I own a PS3 and I love it. It is a great Bluray player, which was one of my primary reasons. It has built in wireless and I love the PS controllers as they have not changed. However, the PSN network is not that great especially if you play alot of multiplayer online games, especially first person shooters. I believe hardware wise it is superior to the Xbox.

On the other hand, Xbox has a superior network that you do have to pay a yearly subscription to if you want to play online games. It has Kinect, which is a REALLY popular and cool item. I believe the new Xbox model has built in wireless. The library for Xbox is larger, I believe.

It is really up to what type of gamer you are and what you intend to use it for. I prefer the PS3 because I am primarily a PC gamer and the PS3 has great looking racing and fighting games, which I do not play on PC. Uncharted is an outstanding series that I have enjoyed. Then again Xbox has Gears of War, which is a huge hit. Just do your research and test out some games at a buddies house or at a retailer.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

You haven't tried the God of War series??? :ouch: For me, that was the prime reason for getting a PS3 (had the PS2 earlier but couldn't do GOW3). That was one of the most brilliant series I've ever come across! Till date I rate it the best.

To the OP:
Like everybody has said, it all depends on your personal preferences and requirements. The PS3 appealed to me because it had built-in wi-fi and blu-ray. I believe now that the xbox has also thrown the built-in wi-fi. Either ways, you'll love whatever you pick up.

From what I've read up till date, the xbox seems to have a higher failure rate as regards the console/ software. The RROD (Red ring of death) seems to occur a lot on the xbox forcing users to repeatedly sending their consoles for repairs. Mind that even the PS3 has a similar issue. The issue on both consoles happens where the hard disk indicator/ power light changes colours and the console simply locks up!

6_5x47lapua

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
forgot to post this, i even dropped my ps3 down a few stairs (no i dont want to talk about it) with a game in it and system and game were fine. little scratch on the side only. but one of my buddies bumped his xbox with his foot while walking by it, (it was on) and the disc destabilized, killing the game and it will freeze up about 1/3 times while booting up a game ever since.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I believe the xbox 360 probably owns better sales numbers between the 2 consoles, but the future that you're asking about with both systems is nextgen. These are the waning days of the 360 and ps3.

That said, hopefully the next series of systems won't have phenomenon like the "red ring" where people have their game system kick the bucket like an old automatic can opener or something. A lot of people who have used these consoles since their releases have had to replace them at least once due to an anomalous malfunction, whereas you can find fully functional sega genesis and super nintendo systems at flea markets.

6_5x47lapua

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
that is interesting casualcolors, modern stuff breaks much more often. people restore 60s-70s muscle cars no problem. could you imagine trying to restore a toyota 50 years from now? all's that would be left would be a pile of dilapidated plastic and an engine block.

unaware

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

I think Xbox 360 is better in terms of controller, console prices and the overall features offered via xbox live; and also is back compatible.
But PS3 is better in terms of no yearly online gaming fees, blue ray player and no region restrictions.

so they both have there faults, but I think xbox 360 edges to be the winner

I found a great website to find good discounts called CouponCodes4u and they have very good deals and coupon codes for games. Here is the url to one their top gaming stores: http://www.couponcodes4u.com/discounts/gamestop.com

unaware

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Xbox 360 because it has more positive features than PS3 even thou it does piss me off that they charge a yearly subscription fee....

You pay a yearly fee because their network is far better than the Playstation Network. PS3 owners went through the fun of having the PSN hacked and being down for several weeks of not being able to do squat with their console online. If you are a gamer or somewhat casual gamer, $50 a year is nothing. I rarely play games online so that $50 isn't worth it to me. But if I did, it would be worth it for the support they offer.

G

i have ps3 and xbox 360 i had m xbox 360 before my ps3 and i like ps3 way better but it kind of depends if you have more friends on ps3 or xbox but i recommend ps3 because the graphics are better than xbox graphics in loads of game and some people say xbox is better because of halo most of my friends who have xbox and me hate halo plus ps3 online is free and some people say psn can get hacked so easily but it got hacked once 2 years after psn started xbox got hacked twice one in 2008 and 2011 (a 16 year old boy hacked into it in 2011). most americans have xbox because xbox is american and came out before ps3 and the good thing abouts and xbox is how much memory it has that is it and some people say xbox have better servers and connection than ps3's but that depends on how good your internet is.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I think the entire PS3/360 debate is kind of stupid. They are essentially identical. I own an Xbox, but if I had no friends I'd probably of gone with PS3.

Comparison:

PS3 Pros:
- Free online service
- Blu-Ray player

Xbox Pros:
- Get DLC earlier generally
- Party Chat (You can talk to your friends while playing different games. Basically like a group Skype call.)

Other than that, they are nearly the same. Same graphics, pretty much same games. (Both have good exclusives and bad exclusives.), etc.

I realize it wasn't asked but I am doing it anyway:

PC Pros:
- Better graphics
- Mods
- Cheaper games
- More games
- Free games
- More precise controls
- Upgradable

:p

But seriously, just get whichever console more of your friends have.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Microsoft needs a way to motivate people to spend $199.99 on 50 dollars worth of hardware. Don't expect any console-exclusives to make their way to PC ever again.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
lol i wont buy another xbox,its always money money money. they overcharge hardware than charge a yearly fee or you dont get to enjoy the games to its fullest or talk to freinds.some games dont even allow you online if you dont have gold

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

i actually hope this continues with break downs (not just specific to red ring), that is my business :p along with PC repair. but biggest part of my work is game consoles.

as for console choice, I just bought both since there are exlusives that i like on both consoles. I have first gen PS3 with backwards compatibility which is awesome since now i can pack my PS2 away and bring it out only when i really need to use it. I also own a older xbox 360 which was manufacture around the end of 2009, which i found were well put together, same with any in 2010, run cooler than the new slims.

I keep all my consoles off wifi just because i prefer reliability of wired network.

im between consoles, for many reasons, but i like both of them equally.