[SOLVED] Do motherboard standoff heights need to be added to dimensions?

jamok99

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
Here's an odd question: I'm building a new PC. My case, an Antec 1100 (yeah, I know, it's ancient - but I already own it) states that the maximum height of the cooler is 170mm. My cooler is a Deepcool Assassin III, which states a height of 165mm. (But, if one of the fans needs to be adjusted upward to clear the ram, it could be taller.) I think I can make that RAM clearance work, but it occurs to me that motherboard offsets might add to the height of the motherboard, no? And that height addition might raise that cooler height of 165mm up past (or very close to) 170mm, the maximum clearance stated of the cooler. Which might mean I can't close the panel on the case. Anybody know if standoff height adds to overall height? (I realize that I could just measure all the component dimensions, but I don't have the motherboard nor the RAM yet.) TIA for any help.

Solution
Here's an odd question: I'm building a new PC. My case, an Antec 1100 (yeah, I know, it's ancient - but I already own it) states that the maximum height of the cooler is 170mm. My cooler is a Deepcool Assassin III, which states a height of 165mm. (But, if one of the fans needs to be adjusted upward to clear the ram, it could be taller.) I think I can make that RAM clearance work, but it occurs to me that motherboard offsets might add to the height of the motherboard, no? And that height addition might raise that cooler height of 165mm up past (or very close to) 170mm, the maximum clearance stated of the cooler. Which might mean I can't close the panel on the case. Anybody know if standoff height adds to overall height? (I...

kanewolf

Titan
Here's an odd question: I'm building a new PC. My case, an Antec 1100 (yeah, I know, it's ancient - but I already own it) states that the maximum height of the cooler is 170mm. My cooler is a Deepcool Assassin III, which states a height of 165mm. (But, if one of the fans needs to be adjusted upward to clear the ram, it could be taller.) I think I can make that RAM clearance work, but it occurs to me that motherboard offsets might add to the height of the motherboard, no? And that height addition might raise that cooler height of 165mm up past (or very close to) 170mm, the maximum clearance stated of the cooler. Which might mean I can't close the panel on the case. Anybody know if standoff height adds to overall height? (I realize that I could just measure all the component dimensions, but I don't have the motherboard nor the RAM yet.) TIA for any help.
The 170mm height is from the top of the CPU. The standoffs are accounted for in that height already.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution