[SOLVED] Do motherboards automatically install and update drivers?

LeoLoon

Reputable
May 29, 2017
I just installed a new motherboard and I was wondering if I have to manually install all their drivers or does it automatically do it?

I have a Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 mobo.

Solution
I just installed a new motherboard and I was wondering if I have to manually install all their drivers or does it automatically do it?

It won't automatically do it and you wouldn't want it to if it did. All you want to get from the motherboard mfr. are drivers for the LAN port and audio drivers. Leave everything else alone as they're most likely just poorly coded bloatware thats only going to slow your system down or, at best, are out of date.

Even the LAN and audio drivers are optional as Windows usually includes perfectly functional compatibility mode drivers that will do all most people need.

But do go and get chipset drivers from the AMD support web site. Get your GPU drivers from the...

Beeeater

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
You didn't mention what OS you are running. If it's Windows, then Windows will check and update your drivers and itself automatically. With any new hardware it will look for updated drivers and install them transparently. If driver updates are found but are not essential it will show them as Optional Updates in the Windows Update section of Settings.

It won't automatically do it and you wouldn't want it to if it did. All you want to get from the motherboard mfr. are drivers for the LAN port and audio drivers. Leave everything else alone as they're most likely just poorly coded bloatware thats only going to slow your system down or, at best, are out of date.

Even the LAN and audio drivers are optional as Windows usually includes perfectly functional compatibility mode drivers that will do all most people need.

But do go and get chipset drivers from the AMD support web site. Get your GPU drivers from the GPU chip mfr's web site...either AMD or Nvidia as appropriate. That should be all that's needed.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution