Do motherboards come with the latest BIOS update?

Nov 6, 2018
Just bought the GA-A320M-S2H motherboard from Newegg. I'm building a PC using a CPU (Athlon 200GE) that requires this motherboard to have the latest BIOS version. My question is, will the motherboard come with the latest BIOS update or will I have to flash it? What will happen if I build the PC usuing the CPU and the motherboard is not updated?

Thx for the help!

stevenjemint

Notable
Aug 13, 2018
The motherboard will ship with the latest BIOS at time of manufacturer, so even if you bought it this month, if its been sat on a shelf since April it will carry an April BIOS. Best bet is to check the manufacturers website and download if necessary,

ex_bubblehead

Champion
The motherboard will ship with whatever BIOS version was current at the time of manufacture. If, for example, your processor requires a newer version than shipped you will have to install a compatible processor (or have it done in a shop) in order to flash to a compatible version.

Nov 6, 2018

What would happend if I build the PC and the motherboard is not updated?

stevenjemint

Notable
Aug 13, 2018

Probably nothing, but sometimes they release support for things like RAM that came out after the board was made.

Or there could be a more effiecent power set up.

If you go here - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-A320M-S2H-rev-1x#support-dl-bios it shows the latest BIOS and what effects it has.

It could very easily be non-functional. That is: all you get is a black screen with (maybe) fans running. In the case of a Ryzen motherboard based on 300-series chipsets that is something commonly seen when installing a 2nd generation, 2000 series Ryzen processor.

I believe the Athlon 200ge will work with any pre-Ryzen2000 Ready BIOS though (because that's what AMD will loan you if you get a Ryzen 2000 processor to enable you to update the BIOS). BUT: follow that link Stevenjemint provided to find out for sure.

EDIT: I believe AMD's bootkit is a Bristol Ridge APU processor instead...something like an A6...so don't rely on that bit about an Athlon 200 working with older BIOS'

I don't agree it will ship with latest BIOS as of time of manufacture as some (many) companies standardize on a shipping BIOS for manufacturing expediency. They expect customers to update to latest at time of installation, if it's needed.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS