Do my GPU needs Gsync ?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
english is a bit broken, but from what I'm gathering you want to know if G-Sync is worth the money?

In my opinion yes. It makes games much smoother with less input latency than with V-Sync.

It's for sure a worthwhile upgrade that will stick with you for years to come if you take care of your monitor.

However, that monitor you were looking at is not G-Sync. It is Freesync which is for AMD cards.

I personally have this monitor and would highly recommend it. It's also one of the cheaper ones.

Dell S2716DG - 27" 1440p - 144Hz G-Sync
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/

With a RTX 2070 and 1080p monitor you should be able to get high enough FPS to notice any screen tearing. In case you notice it you could turn on V-sync and sacrifice a couple of FPS in the process.
If you had a higher resolution screen G-Sync could make a difference...but still very expensive..
In the end it should be up to you if you think that is important enough to pay a premium for a g-sync monitor.

abodeking1

Proper
Nov 9, 2018

thank you for your response .

i will take this into my consideration, but what if i got MSI monitor that i have mentioned, will i have issue with tearing and stutter ?

abodeking1

Proper
Nov 9, 2018

so i can get 1080p 144hz Gsync to deal with tearing. or 1440p 144hz no gsync..

if i go on 1080p with g sync i have this option : Asus PG248Q 24 but it is TN panel. how bad this TN panel is ? so man people tell me that it is to bad.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
the asus monitor you mentioned is pretty much the cheapest G-Sync monitor out there.
It doesn't have a great track record and that's why I chose the cheapest G-Sync monitor that is good.

If you go with the MSI monitor you mentioned, you will not be able to use G-Sync since the monitor itself isn't a G-Sync monitor.
It's a Freesync monitor and the Freesync technology doesn't work with Nvidia graphics cards.

It will end up being just a regular monitor that you will have to use V-Sync on whenever you experience screen tearing in any particular games.

abodeking1

Proper
Nov 9, 2018

i kow that i cant use Freesync. but Do i still on disadvantage ? i didn't pay a 2100$ pc to have tearing just because of monitor. if the MSI is not tearing i will buy it. v sync is locking fps to 60! my pc can handle even more. so v sync is not a solution.

Asus have TN panels so that is cons too..

The opposite...with a 1080p monitor you might not need G-sync.
The higher the resolution the more G-sync might be useful to prevent screen tearing.

TN panels have poor viewing angles, but if you seat right in front of it you might not notice any difference.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
I don't play the games you do, but I do have a freesync monitor and an Nvidia 1070 because I wasn't going to pay extra for Gsync.
It's perfectly fine for the games I play and I just use 75hz and Vsynch if I see any tearing - which I usually don't.

Anyway what I'm saying is it'll work ok and you can use Vsync if you get bad tearing, someone else already said that I think.

Gsync is really at it's best when you can't maintain the fps at the monitor refresh rate or higher because in that situation Vsync does not work well and kills your fps. It's still nice to have at high framerates - but not as needed.

abodeking1

Proper
Nov 9, 2018

if the MSI wont tearing , so i prefer go on it and save money to a good 27 1440p gsync monitor :)

last question: does TN panel colors looks to bad even when i look straight ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You'll still get tearing without the use of Vsync, Freesync or Gsync just at 144Hz wont be as evident with the refresh cycle being quicker so you may not notice it as much but tearing will be there. These sync technologies has nothing to do with resolution either, Vertical blanking synchronization is to sync frame rates and refresh rate with either of the sync methods mentioned. Gsync is really worth it btw.

I've used TNs before and though not as vibrant as VA/IPS, TNs can still look ok from bit of an angle but yeah straight on is best for these.

If you don't have G-sync or FreeSync, or vsync turned on, tearing is always present. Whether you notice it or whether it bugs you is a very personal question. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. It's like the Matrix - nobody can tell you if you will be sensitive to it. You have to experience it for yourself. So asking about it on a forum can't really enlighten you.

There are some very good TN panels out there. The best laptop display I've ever owned was a TN panel (about 95% Adobe RGB and nearly 2000:1 contrast ratio and an anti-reflective coating which made you forget it was glossy; the only better screen I've seen is OLED), and I do a lot of photo editing so color shift is a big deal to me. The problem is there are a lot of terrible TN panels out there too - some are so bad just looking at it straight the colors at the top will differ from the colors on the bottom. When you buy a VA or IPS monitor, you can expect it to meet some minimum level of image quality. When you buy a TN panel, you have no idea what you're going to get. It could be good or it could be terrible. Make sure you've seen it for yourself before buying, or reviews have vetted it as a decent before buying a TN panel.