[SOLVED] Do my i5-3470 processor bottleneck my Msi gtx 970?

Feb 1, 2019
I play games like Battlefield V, Assassins Creed Origins, Hitman 2 and so on.. Does my cpu hold my gpu back in modern games? If so, is it enoght to make it worth doing an upgrade on my cpu/mobo/ram?

Solution

yes, it has 12 threads, its not really that much faster than the 8600k, maybe about 15%, but modern games from now on are seeying more and more benefits from thread or fake cores as I like to call them, although this is also a wrong conception. For what i've seen around, CPU's with 4 cores and 8 threads are start to see the strain on modern games, so IMO, having a slight better peformance and being 6 cores 12 threads vs the 6 core 6 threads on the 8600k, justifies the extra buck, future-wise.

1. People need to stop with this bottleneck thing, what you get is diminished returns for a monster gpu with a weaker CPU, but you will ALWAYS get better fps. So the answer to your question is: it doesn't matter. Its perfectly fine for you 970.

2. your CPU is old and obsolete, it will not do very well with modern games, if you can, i'd suggest to go with i7 8700 instead of i5, nobody can tell you exactly how many FPS you'll get, but even with a still very capable GTX 970, youll be able to play most games on high @ 1080p, some others keeping a fluid 60 fps but with a few things toned down.

Feb 1, 2019
Ok I understand. Thanks!
Btw any spesific reason you would choose The i7-8700? I've heard that the i5-8600k is really good for gaming. The 8700 is around 100$ more expensive in my country.

yes, it has 12 threads, its not really that much faster than the 8600k, maybe about 15%, but modern games from now on are seeying more and more benefits from thread or fake cores as I like to call them, although this is also a wrong conception. For what i've seen around, CPU's with 4 cores and 8 threads are start to see the strain on modern games, so IMO, having a slight better peformance and being 6 cores 12 threads vs the 6 core 6 threads on the 8600k, justifies the extra buck, future-wise.

Solution

Latest posts