Do my laptop have a RAM slot with existing soldered memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ducamvinh

Prominent
May 27, 2018
I have a laptop which I intent to upgrade the RAM. The exact model is Asus X541NA-GO012T. This model is sold in Vietnam, which is where i live. I can't find the disassembly of the exact model that I have, instead I've only found various versions of the X541 series. Some of them have a RAM slot and some don't, I don't know if mine have one. I can't open the laptop myself because I've already called the warranty center to ask if doing so would void my warranty, to which he replied it would, but I can bring the laptop to the center for them to upgrade for me. I used the Crucial Advisor app, which told me that my laptop only have soldered RAM, but then Task Manager told me I have 2 RAM slots. So I'm confused, can I upgrade the memory of my laptop. I just want to be sure to know if I need to buy more RAM. Also in order to physically see if the laptop has a RAM slot requires completely removing the motherboard so if I don't have to, I don't want to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Solution
The system is basically saying you have two memory banks, it is not really indicating that you have physical slots.

If you have to remove the motherboard to look at the memory, it is likely not upgradeable. Typically memory slots will be accessible from the bottom of a laptop, or under the keyboard. Given the low end nature of the CPU, I suspect everything is soldered on but the drive.

All that said, probably not worth upgrading. Put it up for sale and look at something more in line with what you want to do with it. Problem with buying lower end laptops is that they end up becoming obsolete quite quickly, and you get stuck in a cycle of buying new ones over a shorter period of time.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The system is basically saying you have two memory banks, it is not really indicating that you have physical slots.

If you have to remove the motherboard to look at the memory, it is likely not upgradeable. Typically memory slots will be accessible from the bottom of a laptop, or under the keyboard. Given the low end nature of the CPU, I suspect everything is soldered on but the drive.

All that said, probably not worth upgrading. Put it up for sale and look at something more in line with what you want to do with it. Problem with buying lower end laptops is that they end up becoming obsolete quite quickly, and you get stuck in a cycle of buying new ones over a shorter period of time.

Solution

ducamvinh

Prominent
May 27, 2018

Updated: yeah I just called the support center and had them check for me. It is true that I can't install more RAM. As for the low capacity of this laptop, I only use it for stuff like MS Office, web browsing for college work, bring it to class to do group work with my classmates and for presentations. For heavy workloads I have a PC at home which I intend to upgrade its hardwares when I need to. Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.