[SOLVED] Do my needs justify getting a RTX3090?

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I'm planning to upgrade to the new 3000 series RTX cards, and am trying to decide between a 3090 or waiting for the 3080ti.
The upgrade will be for my wife's computer.

Here is what she uses her system for:

3 monitors ( 1x30" 4k + 2x 27" 1080 ).​
VR gaming.​
Live streaming while VR gaming.​
Graphic design.​

In terms of demand, she has all 3 monitors running at the same time while running VR on the main 4k, at the same time as she is live streaming and keeping additional apps open. She has a 1080ti now, and it has actually handled all the above just fine. We've never had a problem, so the upgrade is more about future proofing, getting ready for more games using ray tracing, and so on.

Question being ... do her high demand needs 'justify' a 3090? Or is that just overkill?

Thx in advance for any advice.

Solution
Probably not. The RTX 3090 is basically like the RTX 2000 series Titan card; its mostly for people who have use cases that require the 24 GB of VRAM. If you don't, you're paying twice the money for a 20% increase in CUDA cores over the RTX 3080.

Then again, if you have $1500 burning a hole in your pocket, you'll be the envy of most people in this forum, so there is always that lol.
Probably not. The RTX 3090 is basically like the RTX 2000 series Titan card; its mostly for people who have use cases that require the 24 GB of VRAM. If you don't, you're paying twice the money for a 20% increase in CUDA cores over the RTX 3080.

Then again, if you have $1500 burning a hole in your pocket, you'll be the envy of most people in this forum, so there is always that lol.

Solution