[SOLVED] Do noise dampening cases actually work?

Solution
i never said the be quiet fans are bad

be quiet cases with sound dampening are not ideal for parts that work hot, because the design of the case and the speed of the fans are focused on reduce noise, at the expense of temperature, not much more, but extra when compared to a meshify c case or similar high airflow cases

the fan is a fan that spins, moves air and does it silently, nothing wrong with it, at all

any fan can be replaced, but the rgb is the problem, if it uses a specific controller integrated in the front or top of the case, the new fan will not work with it, so you loose rgb control but if you say you don't care, well, buy the best noctua fans or the best be quiet fans you can, a fan hub to connect all fans in the hub and...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like a hot box to me.

1)Side panel is Acrylic, no insulation. (Not as sound proof as tempered glass even)
2)Front looks completely closed off.
3)Top has panels covering the fans and impeding airflow.
4)Fans tend to spin faster under restriction, so the overall effect would probably be louder with poor cooling.

For decent silence you want slower spinning fans (ie larger). Basically if the components are cool, the fans don't need to work as hard.

There are cases truly designed for silence. Look at be quiet! as a case manufacturer. You'll see actual sound dampening foams and other silent features that this chassis lacks.

I have a Fractal Design R4 which has some foam in various places. It does work to a certain extent, in that you can tell the difference with the front door panel open, it's slightly louder.

The biggest difference in noise I found was replacing all the fans with 140mm Noctua fans. They are expensive but it made a big difference to noise levels compared to the stock Fractal fans.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, last time I went for a silent build I used Corsair 120 SP fans with a fan controller. In a BitFenix Ghost case. Foam all around, front door panel. It was very quiet. Evo212 as a CPU cooler with two SP120s on it, and, at the time, a GTX1080 EVGA ACX 3.0 cooler. Was before I swapped over to a new chassis and aggressive water cooling.

Kind of regretting an acrylic side panel, just been too lazy to go to the glass shop and get a panel made.

preedyrob2

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
If you want to prioritize silence, yes. You can always go for a balance. The previous case would be relatively quiet as well.

Thanks for the help...but one last question.
This case comes with two "Pure wings 2 140mm" fans. I was thinking about adding another 1 or two, but maybe "silent wings" instead. Will this be enough to efficiently, and quietly, cool a :
MSI Ventus XS OC RTX 2060
Ryzen 5 3600x (With a stock wraith spire cooler)

even at it's most demanding points?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the noise that those cases reduce comes from parts vibrating, if they vibrate it means they are low quality or spinning too fast, the first step is remove from your build the parts that cause noise

start with the best cpu heatsink you can buy, change fans on the case for ones with more than 9 blades and set them to spin as slow as the temperature allows them to

the psu is a source of noise sometimes, but a better quality psu often fixes the noise, a gpu under load with only one fan is a noisy gpu most times, so a gpu with two fans usually is alot quieter, 3 fans is really quiet under load, at idle some turns off all 3 fans, so no noise at all

if after all of this you still think the pc is noisy, then you try to find better case fans and a case with as much noise dampening material, the good ones doesn't have acrylic or glass panels, they still generate noise in the back, so try to aim the bac of the case behind the monitor to dampen even more noise

the case on the first post, looks like any other case i have seen, it will do nothing for dampening any noise

as mentioned before, you get more noise reduction from a high airflow case like the meshify c or the h500 mesh

if the fans spin very slow but move lots of air, the fans inside the case for gpu and cpu will spin slowly, so you will have problems determining if the pc is even on

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
At a computer's most demanding points, you probably won't care about how much noise it is making as long as it keeps the performance level up.

Buying better fans never hurts.

High airflow cases is another way to achieve silence indeed. Some would go for maximum airspeed to achieve the lowest temperatures, but you can also just keep the fans speeds low and let the movement of heat be more natural.

preedyrob2

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
At a computer's most demanding points, you probably won't care about how much noise it is making as long as it keeps the performance level up.

Buying better fans never hurts.

High airflow cases is another way to achieve silence indeed. Some would go for maximum airspeed to achieve the lowest temperatures, but you can also just keep the fans speeds low and let the movement of heat be more natural.
the noise that those cases reduce comes from parts vibrating, if they vibrate it means they are low quality or spinning too fast, the first step is remove from your build the parts that cause noise

start with the best cpu heatsink you can buy, change fans on the case for ones with more than 9 blades and set them to spin as slow as the temperature allows them to

the psu is a source of noise sometimes, but a better quality psu often fixes the noise, a gpu under load with only one fan is a noisy gpu most times, so a gpu with two fans usually is alot quieter, 3 fans is really quiet under load, at idle some turns off all 3 fans, so no noise at all

if after all of this you still think the pc is noisy, then you try to find better case fans and a case with as much noise dampening material, the good ones doesn't have acrylic or glass panels, they still generate noise in the back, so try to aim the bac of the case behind the monitor to dampen even more noise

the case on the first post, looks like any other case i have seen, it will do nothing for dampening any noise

as mentioned before, you get more noise reduction from a high airflow case like the meshify c or the h500 mesh

if the fans spin very slow but move lots of air, the fans inside the case for gpu and cpu will spin slowly, so you will have problems determining if the pc is even on

So what do you guys recommend for a quiet and well cooled build?
Case up to £55 ish, £75 at a push, and fans up to £20.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
based on those numbers i assume that you will reuse parts you already have

what do you have now, include even the brand of the case fans, this as i mentioned is very important for the goal you have, include everything brand and model of psu, case, cpu heatsink, case, everything, let us know what you plan to keep, the budget you have, every detail, if you plan to spend as littel, is possible you do more with better fans than with a new case

monsieurpooh

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
www.maxloh.com
There is no scientific evidence that foam will sound-proof to any appreciable degree. In theory it would help absorb more reflections. But in practice 99.9% of the sound isolation is simply making the top and sides sealed as well as the front air path angled to cull the high frequencies. This way the only straight path out for the sound is through the back holes.

That being said, a "quiet" case is only good at isolating frequencies that are already isolated by headphones, e.g. coil whine. And the fans must spin higher due to higher temps. Simply put if you're wearing headphones a "quiet" case is almost always going to be much louder than a high-airflow case.

The only reason to get a quiet case is if you have really annoying coil whine and usually don't wear headphones. Even then, it might be easier and just as effective to just throw a towel over all your high-airflow-case holes, whereas to go from quiet to high-airflow you'd have to drill holes.

Source: I tested the same exact build in foam-lined quiet vs open airflow case.

For good information on quiet computing go to
www.silentpcreview.com

Noise comes from moving parts.
Today, that mostly means fans since ssd has mostly replaced mechanical hard drives.

For quiet, look for larger fans that can move more air at lower(and quieter) rpm.

There are second order considerations of fan tonality if you are very picky.

If you have a case with thin sides, silverstone makes some stick on sound pads that do a nice job.

preedyrob2

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
based on those numbers i assume that you will reuse parts you already have

what do you have now, include even the brand of the case fans, this as i mentioned is very important for the goal you have, include everything brand and model of psu, case, cpu heatsink, case, everything, let us know what you plan to keep, the budget you have, every detail, if you plan to spend as littel, is possible you do more with better fans than with a new case

Case - Sahara P15 Pirate, came with four fans, unknown model.
PSU - Kolink 500w
Gpu- RTX 2060 MSI Ventus XS OC
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x
Ram- 16gb HyperX DDR4
Mobo - MSI b350 gaming plus
Storage - 480gb Kingston ssd , 1tb HDD not sure which brand
Budget - Not really too sure, probably around £115, £130 at a push.
Not sure what a cpu heatsink is?
I have a stock wraith spire cooler.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
cpu heatsink also known as cooler, the fan over the cpu, has a block of metal, that would be the heatsink

i never heard of that case, seems to be glass in front and the left panel, usually such model has poor airflow, but the glass does absorb noise from inside the case

the brand of those rgb fans is never known, it basically is a no brand chinese fan, under low speeds should be very silent

to make your pc as silent as possible, well no idea what psu is that or how noisy is, so can't say if you should replace it or not and if another one should be more silent

if you have concerns about noise you have to remove the left panel, the glass, put your ear near and see what is more noisy, knowing what is noisy, you can start replacing parts based on that parameter

sounds like you could reduce some noise with a new psu, a new cpu heatsink/cooler, but the rest is determined by what yu detect as noisy and how much you want to invest to reduce its noise

preedyrob2

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
cpu heatsink also known as cooler, the fan over the cpu, has a block of metal, that would be the heatsink

i never heard of that case, seems to be glass in front and the left panel, usually such model has poor airflow, but the glass does absorb noise from inside the case

the brand of those rgb fans is never known, it basically is a no brand chinese fan, under low speeds should be very silent

to make your pc as silent as possible, well no idea what psu is that or how noisy is, so can't say if you should replace it or not and if another one should be more silent

if you have concerns about noise you have to remove the left panel, the glass, put your ear near and see what is more noisy, knowing what is noisy, you can start replacing parts based on that parameter

sounds like you could reduce some noise with a new psu, a new cpu heatsink/cooler, but the rest is determined by what yu detect as noisy and how much you want to invest to reduce its noise

I would invest a decent amount to reduce noise, I have friends who have the same cpu cooler as me, they say it is quiet for them, and I haven't seen anything bad about the wraith spire cooler, so I don't think it's that.
I have just taken the side panel off at checked for noise. I am pretty sure it is the case fans, and maybe the poor case quality, as my pc was built on a budget.
Remind me again what the problem is with the Bequiet! Pure base 500 case and 3-4 pure wings 2 140mm is?
Will the Bequiet pure base 500 and 3-4 140mm pure wings 2 be quiet, and cool safely?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
be quiet cases are quiet, but they also make the parts to run abit more warm than a usual case

in your situation i would start by changing the case fans, if psu is noisy, change that too

i personally find the spire to be not quiet, but not noisy either so i would leave it alone for now

i have here 3 thermaltake led fans, they spin slow and move lots of air, but these fans are old and not easy to find, perhaps you could buy some corsair, or something better

being a so clear case the lack of led or rgb will make you wish you had rgb again, it ends being a important factor, not for performance, but for looks

preedyrob2

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
be quiet cases are quiet, but they also make the parts to run abit more warm than a usual case

in your situation i would start by changing the case fans, if psu is noisy, change that too

i personally find the spire to be not quiet, but not noisy either so i would leave it alone for now

i have here 3 thermaltake led fans, they spin slow and move lots of air, but these fans are old and not easy to find, perhaps you could buy some corsair, or something better

being a so clear case the lack of led or rgb will make you wish you had rgb again, it ends being a important factor, not for performance, but for looks
Are be quiet fans not very good or something?
My PC is below my desk, so no rgb isn't an issue. I have rgb strips under my desk and monitor, so I have my fair share of rgb.
I am not sure I can change the fans in my case, and the new case and fans would come from christmas presents, so it doesn't bother me to just get a new case and fans if that will make it quieter, do you reckon you could link me some quiet, good cooling case fans, and if the Pure Base 500 isn't very good, a nice quiet case to fit my components?
Thanks.

preedyrob2

Prominent
Jan 1, 2019
Are be quiet fans not very good or something?
My PC is below my desk, so no rgb isn't an issue. I have rgb strips under my desk and monitor, so I have my fair share of rgb.
I am not sure I can change the fans in my case, and the new case and fans would come from christmas presents, so it doesn't bother me to just get a new case and fans if that will make it quieter, do you reckon you could link me some quiet, good cooling case fans, and if the Pure Base 500 isn't very good, a nice quiet case to fit my components?
Thanks.

I think I have found some good fans.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NF-...NF-S12A+pwm&qid=1574283978&s=computers&sr=1-3

1. Do these come in 140mm?
  2. Would they pair well with Pure Base 500 case?
  3. Do I buy 3-4 and take out my pure wings 2 that come with the case, or just another two to go with my Pure wings 2?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i never said the be quiet fans are bad

be quiet cases with sound dampening are not ideal for parts that work hot, because the design of the case and the speed of the fans are focused on reduce noise, at the expense of temperature, not much more, but extra when compared to a meshify c case or similar high airflow cases

the fan is a fan that spins, moves air and does it silently, nothing wrong with it, at all

any fan can be replaced, but the rgb is the problem, if it uses a specific controller integrated in the front or top of the case, the new fan will not work with it, so you loose rgb control but if you say you don't care, well, buy the best noctua fans or the best be quiet fans you can, a fan hub to connect all fans in the hub and control it with the motherboard fan header and set the fan curve on that header to low speed

if that is not enough, then you can consider a new psu and new case, but first try the fans, so you don't end with a case that has no use for you that makes you feel like you wasted time and money

often the stock fans on cases are just bad, it has been my experience with corsair and nzxt, so i end up changing them always for new ones

Solution