Question Do not have access to Arris router, how can I find the model to update firmware?

TwentyGaugeHigh

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
I have an Arris router as mentioned, but I do not have physical access to it. Is there a way I can find a model or router type so I know which firmware to download? I can get into the admin panel fine, but I cannot find where it states a model.

USAFRet

Titan
I have an Arris router as mentioned, but I do not have physical access to it. Is there a way I can find a model or router type so I know which firmware to download? I can get into the admin panel fine, but I cannot find where it states a model.
If you do not have physical access to it, why do you need to update the firmware?

But somewhere in the Administration, it should tell you the specific make/model/current firmware version.

Does arris make a router that does not contain a cable modem?

Most devices with cable modem the ISP updates. Even if you were to update it the ISP likes to keep a particular version of firmware on the equipment so they may update it back to what they want.

If you are allowed to update the firmware there will be a update router firmware tab in the status area I think.

This is another good reason to buy a separate router and modem and not a combo unit.

TwentyGaugeHigh

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
If you do not have physical access to it, why do you need to update the firmware?

But somewhere in the Administration, it should tell you the specific make/model/current firmware version.
Numerous connectivity issues and lots of troubleshooting have brought me to attempt a firmware update to try and solve my problems. I did mange to find the model number after some searching, though I was led to ask here because when I tried clicking through the different tabs of the admin panel, I kept getting connection errors.

Does arris make a router that does not contain a cable modem?

Most devices with cable modem the ISP updates. Even if you were to update it the ISP likes to keep a particular version of firmware on the equipment so they may update it back to what they want.

If you are allowed to update the firmware there will be a update router firmware tab in the status area I think.

This is another good reason to buy a separate router and modem and not a combo unit.
The modem/router is preexisting and I do not have a say in what to buy or how to change it, unfortunately.

Your first task is to see if there is even a tab that lets you update the firmware. What I have seen is you can see this tab on certain routers but as soon as you activate the modem on the ISP network the ISP will disable or hide the tab. They want to make it so only they can update it.

Many of the modems sold by arris do not even have this tab and the firmware images on their website can only be accesses by having a login to their site. It appears only ISP can get this image ...they are available from third party sites but if there is no tab to upgrade it does little good. I know I was trying to help someone get their modem upgraded because of the intel puma bug. Before we figured it out the ISP just updated the modem one night.

TwentyGaugeHigh

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
Who actually owns this router? Who paid for it?
My roommate is the account holder and has the router in his room. I can usually contact him for access, but he's not often available as he works a lot. Recently I've been trying to talk him into anteing for a new router, but since he's having no connection issues he's not on board.

Your first task is to see if there is even a tab that lets you update the firmware. What I have seen is you can see this tab on certain routers but as soon as you activate the modem on the ISP network the ISP will disable or hide the tab. They want to make it so only they can update it.

Many of the modems sold by arris do not even have this tab and the firmware images on their website can only be accesses by having a login to their site. It appears only ISP can get this image ...they are available from third party sites but if there is no tab to upgrade it does little good. I know I was trying to help someone get their modem upgraded because of the intel puma bug. Before we figured it out the ISP just updated the modem one night.
I'm trying to get said roommate to contact the ISP about it too, but, again, he's not available all the time.

Yeah I'm guessing he doesn't have physical access because he is just stealing the wifi signal and is hoping a firmware flash will give him more control over someone else's router.
This situation seems Very shady.
Thanks for your input

USAFRet

Titan
  1. Is this a WiFi connection issue, or wired?
  2. Does any listed firmware version address 'connection issues'?
  3. Does this happen with all devices in the house, or just yours?

Identify the problem before applying a solution
Going through all this to update the firmware is useless if that is not the actual problem.

TwentyGaugeHigh

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
  1. Is this a WiFi connection issue, or wired?
  2. Does any listed firmware version address 'connection issues'?
  3. Does this happen with all devices in the house, or just yours?
Identify the problem before applying a solution
Going through all this to update the firmware is useless if that is not the actual problem.
  1. Wired connection issue via power line.
  2. Arris website does not seem to have the firmware for this specific model anymore or I have not found the firmware.
  3. From what I can tell, this is on my machine only. All other connections are wifi but due to the proximity of my room to the router, wifi does not work in my room.
I agree regarding attempting to update the firmware, but this is an issue I've been experiencing consistently for over a month now. I've attempted numerous fixes and applied a lot of troubleshooting, but I have not found a solution yet.

Hi

have you tried updating the device driver for the ethernet chipset?

About 6 months ago I updated the firmware on my Netgear modem/router/wireless/switch
Afterwards I had connectivity problems

So a firmware update can cause problems & well as cure them.

sometimes the Netgear unit was not recognised until either the Netgear unit or PC was restarted.

I Updated the Realtek ethernet device driver and the problems went away

Alternatively if this does not work look at the power line adapters
Have you tried moving the power line adapters into different mains sockets

regards
Mike Barnes

TwentyGaugeHigh

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
I would suspect the powerline before the router needing an update.
Would you suspect that the devices themselves are the problem, or the house's wiring? This connectivity issue is a recent development, when I moved in my connection was ideal.

Hi

have you tried updating the device driver for the ethernet chipset?

About 6 months ago I updated the firmware on my Netgear modem/router/wireless/switch
Afterwards I had connectivity problems

So a firmware update can cause problems & well as cure them.

sometimes the Netgear unit was not recognised until either the Netgear unit or PC was restarted.

I Updated the Realtek ethernet device driver and the problems went away

Alternatively if this does not work look at the power line adapters
Have you tried moving the power line adapters into different mains sockets

regards
Mike Barnes
I've updated my Realtek drivers via Microsoft's Device Manager, and it did find new drivers and install them. After this, I experienced no connection issues for at least two days before it returned. I have moved the power line to different sockets with no success sadly.

USAFRet

Titan
Would you suspect that the devices themselves are the problem, or the house's wiring? This connectivity issue is a recent development, when I moved in my connection was ideal.

I've updated my Realtek drivers via Microsoft's Device Manager, and it did find new drivers and install them. After this, I experienced no connection issues for at least two days before it returned. I have moved the power line to different sockets with no success sadly.

Could be either.

TwentyGaugeHigh

Reputable
Jul 18, 2016
Could be either.
I'm in the process of ordering new power lines, but if I may ask, when I lose connection I get that warning symbol on my ethernet icon on the taskbar, and when I run the Windows troubleshooter, it states that "Ethernet does not have a valid configuration" and verifies that it has been fixed. Is there a reason that ethernet would constantly have bad IP config?