Do old CPUs start sometimes overheating ??

y2016new

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
Do old CPUs sometimes start malfunctioning -- like getting overheated ?? My desktop is 8.5 years old. It's Intel 2-core CPU. In the last year I noticed its temperature rise to 70 Celsius quite often (maximum allowed is 80 and normal is 35-50). But the CPU fan was working fine all the time just until 2 days ago. Then the fan suddenly became noisy. Yesterday I replaced it with a new fan but now the temperature soars even higher -- above 80 Celsius. So is there any hope for fixing the temperature rise of the CPU or should I just buy a new desktop ??

OfficialG3

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
have you replaced the thermal paste on the heatsink ?, i have a laptop and a second hand pc that is as old as yours and ive never had that issue, also software monitoring sometimes are a bit off, try using open hardware monitor and see if its still that high

y2016new

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016

I have cleaned the fan and the heatsink. I also installed a new CPU fan but things even got worse. Now the CPU temperature is higher than before -- over 90 Celsius while I am just in my BIOS.. Before installing the new fan I removed the old thermal paste from the socket. The new fan (heatsink) had its own new paste on it from the manufacturer.

usually the new heatsink usually as a very thin plastic foil over that paste, did you maybe forget to remove that foil before applying the heatsink on the cpu?
other suggestion would be pulling heatsink off and seeing if it did in fact spread.. I have bough a "new" heatsink to realize the paste on it was already dry and did not spread at all, cleaned it and reapplied fresh paste to solve the issue.

y2016new

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016

There was no plastic foil on it. By mistake a tiny amount of the new paste touched my finger. So it's clear also that the new paste was not dry. The point is that some weird things happened before and after replacing the fan. Before replacing the fan, my computer suddenly went off when it was idle for few hours. The old fan was working fine and quietly. But as since last 6 months or so I have noticed the CPU temperature rises quite often above 70 Celsius, I thought the computer went off as maybe for some reason it (CPU temperature) got above the maximum (80 Celsius). But when I restarted the computer, the quiet old fan started to noise heavily. It looked weird to me as it was working very fine just few hours ago. I cleaned the fan and the heat sink with dry air pressure. But as the fan heavy noise kept repeating in few rebooting trials, I bought the new fan. But also the new fan noised heavily as soon as I booted my computer. The noise repeated in first 3-4 rebooting trials, but then suddenly in the next boot the noise disappeared and has not returned yet. So again I find this very weird. Why the new fan noised so heavily in the first few trials ?? And the other point is that now with the new fan the CPU temperature is getting even higher (above 90 Celsius) even when I am just in the BIOS. Any solution ?? Thanks.