[SOLVED] Do old GPUs work fine with new versions of Windows 10?

bjerrum

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
This may be a really dumb question, but I've been looking around eBay for graphics cards in the <$50 range for a LAN/backup PC. I just wanted to know, before I buy something, if old graphics cards (such as GTX 700 series and earlier/Radeon HD cards) would work with new Windows 10 versions. It'd also be awesome if I could get any suggestions for cards; I'll list the basic specs below.

Many thanks to those that provide answers. :)

Pentium G4600
Gigabyte B250M-Evo
Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4-2400
(Somewhat of a "pass-down" system; it has been paired with an EVGA 1050Ti SC and Sapphire RX 570 4GB in the past)

Solution
Thanks.
Would a cheap GTX 295 be a decent choice? I like that era of GPU.
The plan is to use an EVGA 450W 80+B or buy something new like a SeaSonic 500W 80+B.
That is a very old series of GPU's,and I do not think you should buy it

Firstly it is ancient,secondly the Nvidea driver support for it is extremely poor.

And i seriously doubt it will perform well.

With your proccessor,I would suggest going for a GTX 750 ti,or atleast a GT 1030.
Please note that a GT 1030 will only perform well with low resource demanding games.

Your PSU should support these cards easily.

navask01

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
There shouldn’t be any reason why the GTX 7xx series card wouldn’t be supported by the nvidia drivers. If this is purely for a backup PC, and not for intensive gaming, you’d be fine.

One thing that I would tell you to note is the power supply in the PC. The newer cards are more power efficient compared to the older ones, so you’d best have a decent power supply.

bjerrum

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
Thanks.
The plan is to use an EVGA 450W 80+B or buy something new like a SeaSonic 500W 80+B.

May 8, 2020
Thanks.
That is a very old series of GPU's,and I do not think you should buy it

Firstly it is ancient,secondly the Nvidea driver support for it is extremely poor.

And i seriously doubt it will perform well.

With your proccessor,I would suggest going for a GTX 750 ti,or atleast a GT 1030.
Please note that a GT 1030 will only perform well with low resource demanding games.

Your PSU should support these cards easily.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS