Do overclocked GPU models require more power?

Vanitas

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016
I've noticed that many GPUs have two different models with mostly the only difference being that one has an "OC" in the name, while the other one doesn't.

I also noticed that the GPUs with an "OC" in their name, aka the GPUs that are overclocked, get purchased by way more people.

My question is, if my PSU is not that strong, do I need to worry about a noticeable difference between the two versions?
Should I buy the not overclocked version?

Solution
chances are if you can drive the basic card, you can drive the OC version. it depends on what card and what PSU also. if you are cutting it so close that you cant use the OC version, you need a different card (or psu XD ) anyways.

Vanitas

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016

So it isn't really that much of a difference?

My PSU is a Super Flower Golden Green HX 450W and I'm looking at an AMD RX 480 as my new GPU.

he is not talking about overclocking, he is talking about the "OC" models.

Vanitas

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016

Which probably means I should get a GTX 1060 instead, since they don't consume as much power.

As far as wattage, your fine, but I would add anything before getting a quality psu, like a corsair or seasonic. a new shiny gpu won't do much good if you fry it in a week :)

Vanitas

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016

What, is my PSU really that bad? Can't be.

No it's not bad, just has a silly name that makes it sound like crap, which it isn't. I've heard of stories where they say they're deliberately under-rated in wattage and can actually deliver more....but I wouldn't recommend trying to find out :)

I know what he is talking about. It is the same, there is no way, unless you test each card, what the actual power draw will be. I don't care who does the over clocking.