[SOLVED] Do PCle 4 motherboard/SSD provide faster computing than PCle 3 motherboard/SSD?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
My purpose is to do statistical analysis using statistical/mathematical packages like Matlab, SAS, Stata.

The data size will be 10GB or sometimes even 100GB.

So normal computers find it hard to even load 100GB data quickly, let alone process statistical analysis on them.

Do PCle 4 motherboards and SSDs provide faster computing than PCle 3 motherboards and SSDs for this purpose?

If so then I guess it makes sense to upgrade my M.2 SSD and motherboard to PCle 4 supporting ones.

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
For that purpose, yes it will benefit you. And that is the only benefit right now. You will get double the bandwidth, making your data load/process faster...
https://www.eweek.com/storage/eight-reasons-why-pcie-4.0-is-important-for-flash-storage/#:~:text=Having twice the performance per,reduce cost and power consumption.

Thanks. How can I tell if motherboards support PCle? Even better, it will be ideal if I could filter my Amazon or NewEgg search to PCle4-supported motherboards.

Amazon product descriptions usually don't seem to talk about it? If it's important for data processing speed, why are they not displaying that info on Amazon product description?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks. How can I tell if motherboards support PCle? Even better, it will be ideal if I could filter my Amazon or NewEgg search to PCle4-supported motherboards.

Amazon product descriptions usually don't seem to talk about it? If it's important for data processing speed, why are they not displaying that info on Amazon product description?

Ahh NewEgg seems to have such a search filter for PCle 4

Both Intel and AMD support PCIe4 on their current generation platforms. Choose any current generation CPU and most of the compatible boards will have PCIe4 support.