[SOLVED] Do programs load on Windows lock screen.

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all!

I was just wondering, you know when you turn on your computer for the first time, Windows loads up and finally your greeted with the lock screen which you put your password in and your on your desktop.

While your on the lock screen do programs or start up programs like steam or discord etc load up in the background while your on that lock screen?

Most of the time I'll get home, turn my pc on, clean up and come back. If the lock screen doesn't load anything up then I may as well disable it since I'm the only person that uses my pc.

Thank you :)

Solution
it doesnt preload steam and other apps, they get executed once user logs in (if we talk about fresh boot and ignore windows fastboot)
those programs are in user mode, which requires user to be logged in
tho u can setup lockscreen to load some uwp apps, like weather, news, ...
it doesnt preload steam and other apps, they get executed once user logs in (if we talk about fresh boot and ignore windows fastboot)

Reactions: Vellaura
Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
Not sure that's entirely true. I have one app that starts and is on my screen, ready to go if I let the lock screen sit for a few seconds. If I login immediately, I can see the app in the process of connecting to the network.

-Wolf sends

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you are the only user, then no reason to use the lockscreen, unless you are worried about someone coming along and using it when you are not looking. otherwise it is an un-needed step.
mostly. I mean, windows user profiles aren't bullet proof. I used to use netplwiz to auto logon and then my profile corrupted itself randomly and would auto log me in as a guest. I would much prefer to take a little more time to enter a password than have to deal with that again.