Do RAM Chips really need a Heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Some forums say that RAM Heatsinks can make the RAM Perform faster, while in others, they say that it is completely useless.

I opened my computer case while gaming and the RAM chips felt pretty cold, they didn't seem to make heat at all...
Is Heatsinks on RAM really that useless or they do make a difference?

Thanks in advance! :)

In general, ram does not need fancy heatsinks. They are mostly marketing.

If you are a serious record seeking overclocker, then maybe. As you add voltage to ram to increase the speed, it will generate some heat which will need to be dissipated.

But,then, newer cpu's like sandy bridge are largely insensitive to ram speeds, so what's the point?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3

h3sham

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I'd say heatspreaders help, but it's not like going from stock cooling -> tower cooler on a CPU kind of transition. Yeah, most people who don't do anything with a computer other than everyday work can likely get away with bare RAM. At the same time, your basic heatspreader usually doesn't add that much to the price, the higher-rated RAM just tends to have more ornate/efficient spreaders to dispel heat from the higher speeds. Fan on memory is the farthest thing from necessary unless you're trying to max out the memory speed for some reason...with DDR3 there are insane 2000+ ratings, but there aren't really any benefits going beyond 1600MHz.

gcmartini

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Ram usually comes with heat spreaders. They look like vents on the top of each DIMM. High-end ram like Corsair Dominator use a heat sync to preform up to it's expectations on a full load.

jaizrulz

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

See if u r using a ram which u want to overclock at its max level then u surely do need a heatsink or somthing to cool it ..........its not like it will burn or somthing but will make ur pc performer worse n maybe random resets either..........i know ppl using liquid cooling system for OCZ rams .....not sure y but they may have fot of money to burn..........if u realy want to increase ur pc speed go for h60 liquid cooling system for CPU

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

The quality will depend on the chips on the particular sample, and there's no guarantee all sticks of that model will include Micron brand chips, as the one pictured does.

It's 85 Celcius, ambient air or package temperature, 95 Celcius if the refresh rate is doubled, putting it between CPUs and GPUs. Power dissipation is far lower, worst case 3-5W for a stick consisting of 16 chips, meaning heatspreaders are nothing but pure marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.