Do S.M.A.R.T. Power-On Hours increase despite drives being powered down when idle?

Brother_Hood

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hey folks,

this might be an obvious question so excuse my ignorance. I have been using the Windows setting to turn off hard drives after x minutes of being idle for years, and it worked flawlessly most of the time. Since I was employing external drives, I could easily check if they were spun down by grabbing the enclosure (no vibration = powered down).

After years of postponement, I have finally coughed up the money to invest in a proper NAS (HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L currently running Win7 x64) with two 10TB drives, Seagate Enterprise Capacity ST10000NM0016 and WD "White" WD100EZAZ (shucked from a My Book). The NAS runs 24/7 and I have noticed that the Power-On Hours value in CrystalDiskInfo has increased far too much compared to the actual time I had activity on the drives. I wrote down the values around midnight and when I checked again at noon, both drives' Power-On Hours value had increased by exactly 12 hours. So the question arises, does the counter continue despite the drives being powered down? At least I noticed that it takes a couple of seconds when I select the Seagate drive in Crystal (with the program entering the "not responding" stage), and there is a noticeable noise so I assume that it is indeed being spun up. Unfortunately I cannot make the same observations for the WD drive.

Is there a more elaborate way of checking if drive spin down works?

Solution
Power-on hours (POH) is method of referring to the length of time, in hours, that electrical power is applied to a device.
Even, if drive is in idle mode, it still receives power. So it's normal for Power-on hours to increase.

Brother_Hood

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Just so I understand it correctly, I want to clarify the terminology here. In my understanding, a drive is considered 'idle' when there are no read/write operations being executed. Of course it still spinning, and hence receiving power. However it was my understanding that if I set a certain amount of time after which a drive that has been idle is turned off (e.g. Windows power options), it is no longer considered 'idle', but instead 'sleeping'.

If I comprehend your reply correctly, 'sleeping' does not equal 'powered off'. Therefore the drive still receives power and is considered on by the S.M.A.R.T. system.

TRENDING THREADS