pmerik

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
After adding an SATA attached (via a PCI-2 port card), the system (XP-SP3), picks up this device first after BIOS load. Never sees the IDE attached hard drives (master/slave). System comes up with SATA detached, once the system is up, the SATA cable can be re attached and all is fine. How can the devices be 'stacked' correctly. BIOS has no ATA configurables?
Thanks.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
SATA drives do not have jumpers

If you dont have any BIOS options then the drives will default to an IDE type mode - and you lose some of the benefits of using SATA. So the BIOS displays nothing about this or the other drive? Nothing under boot order?

Does the PCI card have any sort of BIOS display during POST? Is there an application to control that card?

Personally, I dont like these add-in cards to pick up SATA and the like. There are so many issues when integrating into a normal system.

cklaubur

Distinguished

Usually the only jumpers SATA drives have is to change the interface speed between 1st generation (150) and 2nd generation (300) speeds.

Does your SATA card have any way to change settings on it?

Casey

EDIT: vvhocare5 beat me. He (or she) is apparently thinking the same thing I am.

pmerik

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

Thanks to both you and wwhocare5 for the feedback...

Checked the *card software, nothing to edit. This may be a raid issue (?). Card is listed as SCSI/RAID in device manager. The MB has a configurable SATA raid interface (which has long since been disabled). When the system comes up and the drive is attached it shows "0" and the device type, then system hangs with 'non system disk error' message, etc., even though the IDE drives have been recognized and listed. After system comes up and the optical drive is re-attached, it appears as "CD-ROM 0" in Disk Management. Any ideas? (thanks again)