[SOLVED] Do server PSUs come with power cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s355

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
I am buying a server PSU for my gaming PC with an ATX12VO motherboard. It's 500W, 80+ Titanium rated, and costs $23. Do server PSUs come with a power cord like ATX PSUs?

Solution
First off, a quality 'server' PSU doesn't cost $23. Add at least another zero. Hope yours comes with a handy fire extinguisher. Second, many server PSU's do not have the same output harness as a workstation PSU. Third, what on Earth makes you think that it wouldn't come with the necessary power cord?
First off, a quality 'server' PSU doesn't cost $23. Add at least another zero. Hope yours comes with a handy fire extinguisher. Second, many server PSU's do not have the same output harness as a workstation PSU. Third, what on Earth makes you think that it wouldn't come with the necessary power cord?

Solution

s355

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Amazon.com: HP DL380P G8 460W Hot-Plug Power Supply 511777-001 499249-001 499250-201 (Renewed) : Electronics
ATX12VO PSUs only generate 12V. I have an ATX12VO motherboard, but there are no ATX12VO PSUs out there. The description doesn't tell that there's a power cord.

s355

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
And how do you hope to connect that to your motherboard?
What specific motherboard is this?
ASRock Z490 motherboard. Using a breakout board, a 12 pin ATX connector, and the ATX12VO pinout, I'll connect the wires to the corresponding ports on the 6 pin connector (to motherboard) from the PCI E connector on the breakout board., leaving 2 pins open. Also, does a server PSU come with the power cord?

USAFRet

Titan
ASRock Z490 motherboard. Using a breakout board, a 12 pin ATX connector, and the ATX12VO pinout, I'll connect the wires to the corresponding ports on the 6 pin connector (to motherboard) from the PCI E connector on the breakout board., leaving 2 pins open. Also, does a server PSU come with the power cord?
Doings things in the most complex, fail prone way possible.

You have a standard ATX motherboard. Get a standard ATX power supply.

Also, does a server PSU come with the power cord?
For some refurbished thing, for $23...who knows.

Good luck.
I'm out.

kanewolf

Titan
Generally no power cord. Since that power supply supported multiple countries, the power cord is part of the localization kit.

Good luck with that motherboard. ASRock doesn't even have the motherboard manual online.

Last edited:

s355

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
Where's the Titanium rating? Is the answer nowhere?

I'm afraid to help given...well...the history. What exactly are you trying to do and why? I'm certainly not going to help provide the means to a dangerous end.
What I'm trying to do is to run an ATX12VO motherboard with a server PSU. On the photos, the 80+ Titanium label is on the spec sticker. Titanium rated ATX PSUs are in the $120+ range while a Titanium rated server PSU is as low as $23. I don't want to buy an ATX PSU that's $120+.

USAFRet

Titan
What I'm trying to do is to run an ATX12VO motherboard with a server PSU. On the photos, the 80+ Titanium label is on the spec sticker. Titanium rated ATX PSUs are in the $120+ range while a Titanium rated server PSU is as low as $23. I don't want to buy an ATX PSU that's $120+.
Please tell me you don't live next to me, or next to anyone I know.

The PSU you listed is made by HP. It is NOT a titanium.

You get what you pay for with PSU's. You get a cheap PSU, be ready to have it fail. If it fails, it can destroy your whole computer. Using a 460w power supply for a gaming system is also very sketchy, at best. I hope your video card is a weak one.

So, you are talking about using the wrong power supply, AND one that may be underpowered. Using a PSU for something that it wasn't designed to do, invites failure. Neither that PSU, nor the breakout board have the proper power cords for powering your motherboard either. I can just go on....

Get the $120+ PSU.

If you don't want to get Titanium, you don't need it. But at least get a respectable Bronze ATX power supply, with the proper power cords and then you will be guaranteed to get a power cord.

Reactions: ex_bubblehead

DSzymborski

Titan

I'm looking at the photos you linked. There's no 80-Plus Titanium certification anywhere, as far as I can see.

You also don't have an ATX12VO motherboard. Or at least, not that you've shown us. Which is why people are asking for specifically what you're doing. Powering the motherboard is the means to an end. What is the end? Given your history, I'm not providing any advice for something that is potentially dangerous.

Totally stupid idea. That 23 dollar power supply is not Titanium rated otherwise it'd be a lot more money than 23 bucks.

What you want to do is stupid and you'd be a fool to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.